Grant County, Indiana Facts
Grant County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Grant Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Grant County Facts
- Government Website: www.grantcounty.net/
- Created Date / Origin: April 1, 1832 from Madison County, Adams New Purchase and Unorganized Land
- County Seat: Marion
- Named After: Captains Samuel and Moses Grant, former American soldiers and early settlers
- Bordering Counties: Huntington County (northeast), Wells County (east), Blackford County (east), Delaware County (southeast), Madison County (south), Tipton County (southwest), Howard County (west), Miami County (west), Wabash County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Fairmount, Fowlerton, Gas City, Jonesboro, Marion, Matthews, Swayzee, Sweetser, Upland, Van Buren
- Townships: Center, Fairmount, Franklin, Green, Jefferson, Liberty, Mill, Monroe, Pleasant, Richland, Sims, Van Buren, Washington
Grant County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Grant County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Grant County Historian, William F. Munn, 800 W. Euclid Ave., Marion, IN 46952-3489; Home Phone: (765) 662-3753
- Grant County Historical Society, P.O. Box 1951, Marion, IN 46952-8351; Phone: (765) 664-6520
- Grant County Genealogy Club, 1429 W. 11th St., Marion, IN 46952
- Gas City Historical Society, P.O. Box 192, Gas City, IN 46933-0192; Phone: (765) 674-1892
- Jonesboro Historical Society, P.O. Box 195, Jonesboro, IN 46938-0195
- Matthews Covered Bridge Historical Society, P.O. Box 153, Matthews, IN 46957-0153
- Mississinewa Battlefield Society, P.O. Box 1812, Marion, IN 46952-8212; Phone: (765) 662-1809
- Upland Area Historical Society, P.O. Box 577, Upland, IN 46989-0577
- Grant County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Grant County
- Grant County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Grant County
- USGenWeb Archives for Grant County
Grant County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Grant County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Grant County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Grant County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Grant County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: 101 E 4th St, Marion, IN 46952
- Phone: (765) 668-8121
- Marriage Records: 1831
- Probate Records: 1831
- Court Records: 1831
- Grant County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 401 S Adams St, Marion, IN 46953
- Phone: (765) 668-6559
- Land Records: 1831
- Grant County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Grant County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Grant County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Grant County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Grant County genealogy or family history related sites.
Grant Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Grant Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Grant Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Grant Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Grant Co. IN Census Records
Grant Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Grant Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Grant Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Grant Co. IN General and History Websites
Grant Co. IN Military Records
- Indiana Military Records (fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Indiana both women and men which served. Perfect for Grant County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.
Grant Co. IN Schools & Directories