Elkhart County, Indiana Facts
Elkhart County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Elkhart Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Elkhart County Facts
- Government Website: www.elkhartcountyindiana.com/
- Created Date / Origin: April 1, 1830 from Unorganized Land
- County Seat: Goshen
- Named After: Disputed, but possibly the Elkhart Native American people
- Bordering Counties: St. Joseph County, MI (northeast), LaGrange County (east), Noble County (southeast), Kosciusko County (south), Marshall County (southwest), St. Joseph County (west), Cass County, MI (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Elkhart, Goshen, Nappanee, Bristol, Dunlap, Middlebury, Millersburg, New Paris, Simonton Lake, Wakarusa
- Townships: Baugo, Benton, Cleveland, Clinton, Concord, Elkhart, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson, Locke, Middlebury, Olive, Osolo, Union, Washington, York
Elkhart County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Elkhart County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Elkhart County Historian, Marcia Brenneman, 64951 Orchard Drive, Goshen, IN 46526-9117; Home Phone: (574) 533-2755
- Elkhart Genealogical Society, PO Box 1031, Elkhart, IN 46515-1031
- Elkhart Historical Society Inc., P.O Box 434, Bristol, IN 46507; (574) 848-4322
- Goshen Historical Museum, 124 S. Main St., Goshen, IN 46526-3702; Phone: (574) 975-0033
- Middlebury Community Historical Museum, P.O. Box 270, Middlebury, IN 46540-0270; Phone: (574) 825-4947
- Nappanee Public Library - Evelyn Lehman Culp Heritage Center, 157 N. Main St., Nappanee, IN 46550-1956; Phone: (219) 773-7919
- New Paris Historical Society, P.O. Box 101, New Paris, IN 46553-0101
- Wakarusa Historical Society and Museum, 403 Wabash Ave., Wakarusa, IN 46573
- Elkhart County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Elkhart County
- Elkhart County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Elkhart County
- USGenWeb Archives for Elkhart County
Elkhart County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Elkhart County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Elkhart County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Elkhart County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Elkhart County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: 101 N. Main Street, Room 204, Goshen, IN 46526
- Phone: Phone: 574-535-6431
- Marriage Records: 1830
- Probate Records: 1830
- Court Records: 1830
- Elkhart County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 117 North 2nd St., Room 205, P.O. Box 837, Goshen, IN 46527-0837
- Phone: (574)535-6756
- Land Records: 1831
- Elkhart County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Elkhart County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Elkhart County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Elkhart County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Elkhart County genealogy or family history related sites.
Elkhart Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Elkhart Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Elkhart Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificates in Indiana
- Elkhart County, Indiana Index to Birth Records, 1882-1920 (search.ancestry.com)
- Goshen, Elkhart County, Indiana Index to Death Records, 1882-1920 (search.ancestry.com)
- Nappanee, Elkhart County, Indiana Index to Birth Records, 1907-1920 (search.ancestry.com)
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Elkhart Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Elkhart Co. IN Census Records
Elkhart Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Elkhart Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Elkhart Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Elkhart Co. IN General and History Websites
Elkhart Co. IN Military Records
- Indiana Military Records (fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Indiana both women and men which served. Perfect for Elkhart County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.
Elkhart Co. IN Schools & Directories