Dubois County, Indiana Facts
Dubois County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Dubois Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Dubois County Facts
- Government Website: www.duboiscountyin.org/
- Created Date / Origin: February 1, 1818 from Pike County
- County Seat: Jasper
- Named After: Toussaint Dubois, hero of the Battle of Tippecanoe and the War of 1812
- Bordering Counties: Martin County (north), Orange County (northeast), Crawford County (east), Perry County (southeast), Spencer County (south), Warrick County (southwest), Pike County (west), Daviess County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Birdseye, Ferdinand , Holland, Huntingburg, Jasper
- Townships: Bainbridge, Boone, Cass, Columbia, Ferdinand, Hall, Harbison, Jackson, Jefferson, Madison, Marion, Patoka
Dubois County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Dubois County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Dubois County Historian, Arthur C. Nordhoff, 710 Main St., Jasper, IN 47546-3041; Work Phone: (812) 482-1010
- Dubois County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 343, Jasper, IN 47547-0343; Phone: (812) 367-2142
- Dubois County Historical Society, 1563 Gregory Lane, Jasper, IN 47546-9114; Phone: (812) 482-2847
- Dubois County Museum, 2704 N Newton St Ste A, Jasper, IN 47546-1332; Phone: (812) 634-7733
- Ireland Historical Society, 7154 W. 150 N., Jasper, IN 47546-8957
- Ferdinand Historical Society Inc, Box 194, Ferdinand , IN 47532
- Dubois County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Dubois County
- Dubois County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Dubois County
- USGenWeb Archives for Dubois County
Dubois County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Dubois County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Dubois County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Dubois county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Aug. 1839, All records destroyed, except the WPA found 10 boxes of deeds from 1812.
- Dubois County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: One Courthouse Square, Jasper, IN 47546
- Dubois County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (812) 481-7035
- Marriage Records: 1839
- Probate Records: 1840
- Court Records: 1840
- Dubois County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 812-481-7067
- Land Records: 1839
- Dubois County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Dubois County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Dubois County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Dubois County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Dubois County genealogy or family history related sites.
Dubois Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Dubois Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Dubois Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Dubois Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Dubois Co. IN Census Records
Dubois Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Dubois Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Dubois Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Dubois Co. IN General and History Websites
Dubois Co. IN Military Records
- Indiana Military Records (fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Indiana both women and men which served. Perfect for Dubois County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.