Crawford County, Indiana Facts
Crawford County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Crawford Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Crawford County Facts
- Government Website: www.selectcrawfordcounty.com/
- Created Date / Origin: January 29, 1818 from Harrison County, Orange County and Perry County
- County Seat: English
- Named After: Col. William Crawford, surveyor of the Midwest and hero of the French and Indian War and Revolutionary War
- Bordering Counties: Orange County (north), Washington County (northeast), Harrison County (east), Meade County, KY (south), Perry County (southwest), Dubois County (west)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Alton, Eckerty, English, Leavenworth, Marengo, Milltown, Taswell
- Townships: Boone, Jennings, Johnson, Liberty, Ohio, Patoka, Sterling, Union, Whiskey Run
Crawford County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Crawford County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Crawford County Historian, Roberta Toby, 4308 E. Temple Road, Marengo, IN 47140; Home Phone: (812) 365-9067
- Crawford County Historical and Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 133, Leavenworth, IN 47137-0133
- Southern Indiana Genealogical Society, New Albany-Floyd County Public Library, 180 West Spring Street, New Albany, IN 47150; 812-949-3527
- Crawford County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Crawford County
- Crawford County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Crawford County
- USGenWeb Archives for Crawford County
Crawford County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Crawford County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Crawford County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Crawford County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Crawford County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 715 Judicial Plaza Drive, English, IN 47118
- Crawford County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (812) 338-2565
- Marriage Records: 1818
- Probate Records: 1818
- Court Records: 1818
- Crawford County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 812-338-2615
- Land Records: 1818
- Crawford County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Crawford County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Crawford County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Crawford County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Crawford County genealogy or family history related sites.
Crawford Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Crawford Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Crawford Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Crawford Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Crawford Co. IN Census Records
Crawford Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Crawford Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Crawford Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Crawford Co. IN General and History Websites
Crawford Co. IN Military Records
- Indiana Military Records (fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Indiana both women and men which served. Perfect for Crawford County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.