Clinton County, Indiana Facts
Clinton County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Clinton Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Clinton County Facts
- Government Website: www.clintonco.com/
- Created Date / Origin: March 1, 1830 from Adams New Purchase and Wabash New Purchase
- County Seat: Frankfort
- Named After: DeWitt Clinton, Governor of New York
- Bordering Counties: Carroll County (north), Howard County (northeast), Tipton County (east), Hamilton County (southeast), Boone County (south), Montgomery County (southwest), Tippecanoe County (west).
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Colfax, Frankfort, Kirklin, Michigantown, Mulberry, Rossville
- Townships: Center, Forest, Jackson, Johnson, Kirklin, Madison, Michigan, Owen, Perry, Ross, Sugar Creek, Union, Warren, Washington
Clinton County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Clinton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Clinton County Historian, James Miller, P.O. Box 182, Rossville, IN 46065-0182; Home Phone: (765) 379-3970
- Clinton Genealogical Society, 208 West Clinton Street, Frankfort, IN 46041; Phone: (765) 654-8746
- Clinton County Historical Society and Museum, 301 E. Clinton St., Frankfort, IN 46041-1908; Phone: (765) 659-2030
- Clinton County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Clinton County
- Clinton County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Clinton County
- USGenWeb Archives for Clinton County
Clinton County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Clinton County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Clinton County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Clinton County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Clinton County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: 265 Courthouse Square, Frankfort IN 46041
- Phone: (765) 659-6335
- Marriage Records: 1830
- Probate Records: 1830
- Court Records: 1829
- Clinton County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 270 Courthouse Square, Frankfort, IN 46041
- Phone: (765) 659-6320
- Land Records: 1832
- Clinton County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Clinton County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Clinton County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Clinton County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Clinton County genealogy or family history related sites.
Clinton Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Clinton Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Clinton Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Clinton Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Clinton Co. IN Census Records
Clinton Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Clinton Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Clinton Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Clinton Co. IN General and History Websites
Clinton Co. IN Military Records
- Indiana Military Records (fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Indiana both women and men which served. Perfect for Clinton County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.