Clark County, Indiana Facts
Clark County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Clark Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Clark County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.clark.in.us/
- Created Date / Origin: February 3, 1801 from Knox County
- County Seat: Jeffersonville
- Named After: General George Rogers Clark, American Revolutionary War hero
- Bordering Counties: Scott County (north), Jefferson County (northeast), White County (west), Floyd County (southwest), Miami County (east), Washington County (northwest), Oldam County, KY (southeast), Jefferson County, KY (south), Trimble County, KY (southeast
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Borden, Charlestown, Clarksville, Jeffersonville, Sellersburg, Utica
- Townships: Bethlehem, Carr, Charlestown, Monroe, Oregon, Owen, Silver Creek, Union, Utica, Washington, Wood
Clark County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Clark County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Clark County Historian, Jeanne M. Burke, 5807 Stacy Road, Charlestown, IN 47111-9691; Home Phone: (812) 256-4685
- Clark County Historical Society / Howard Steamboat Museum, P.O. Box 606, Jeffersonville, IN 47131-0606; Phone: (812) 283-3728
- Borden Institute Historical Society, P.O. Box 183, Borden, IN 47106-0183; Phone: (812) 923-5466
- Clark's Grant Historical Society, 8524 Highway 403, Charlestown, IN 47111-8748
- Clarksville Historical Society, 2000 Broadway St., Clarksville, IN 47129-7762; Phone: (812) 288-7155 Ext 373
- Southern Indiana Genealogical Society, New Albany-Floyd County Public Library, 180 West Spring Street, New Albany, IN 47150; 812-949-3527
- Clark County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Clark County
- Clark County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Clark County
- USGenWeb Archives for Clark County
Clark County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Clark County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Clark County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Clark County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Clark County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 501 E Court Avenue, Jeffersonville, IN 47130
- Clark County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (812) 285-6244
- Marriage Records: 1807
- Probate Records: 1801
- Court Records: 1801
- Clark County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 812-285-6235
- Land Records: 1801
- Clark County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Clark County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Clark County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Clark County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Clark County genealogy or family history related sites.
Clark Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Clark Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Clark Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Clark Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Clark Co. IN Census Records
Clark Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Clark Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Clark Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Clark Co. IN General and History Websites
Clark Co. IN Military Records
- Indiana Military Records (fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Indiana both women and men which served. Perfect for Clark County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.