Cass County, Indiana Facts
Cass County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Cass Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Cass County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.cass.in.us/
- Created Date / Origin: April 13, 1829 from Unorganized Land
- County Seat: Logansport
- Named After: Gen. Lewis Cass, Governor of Michigan Territory and U.S. Secretary of State
- Bordering Counties: Fulton County (north), Miami County (east), Howard County (south), Carroll County (southwest), White County (west), Pulaski County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Galveston, Logansport, Onward, Royal Center, Walton
- Townships: Adams, Bethlehem, Boone, Clay, Clinton, Deer Creek, Eel, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson, Miami, Noble, Tipton, Washington
Cass County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Cass County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Cass County Historian, Richard B. Copeland, 723 Wheatland Ave., Logansport, IN 46947-2923; Home Phone: (574) 732-1875
- Cass Indiana Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 373, Logansport IN 46947
- Cass Historical Society, 1004 E. Market St., Logansport, IN 46947; Phone (574) 753-3866
- Cass County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Cass County
- Cass County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Cass County
- USGenWeb Archives for Cass County
Cass County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Cass County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Cass County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Cass County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Cass County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 200 Court Park, Logansport IN, 46947
- Cass County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (574) 753-7740
- Marriage Records: 1830
- Probate Records: 1829
- Court Records: 1829
- Cass County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: (574) 753-7810
- Land Records: 1829
- Cass County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Cass County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Cass County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Cass County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Cass County genealogy or family history related sites.
Cass Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Cass Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Cass Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Cass Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Cass Co. IN Census Records
Cass Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Cass Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Cass Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Cass Co. IN General and History Websites
Cass Co. IN Military Records