Whiteside County, Illinois Facts
Whiteside County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Whiteside Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Whiteside County Facts
- Government Website: http://www.whiteside.org
- Created Date / Origin: January 16, 1836 from Jo Daviess County and Henry County
- County Seat: Morrison (prior county seats was Lyndon from 1839–1841, Sterling from 1841–1842), Lyndon from 1842–1846, Circuit Court at Sterling, County Commissioners’ Court at Lyndon from 1846–1847, Sterling from 1847–1857)
- Named After: Samuel Whiteside (1783-1868), state legislator and militia leader
- Bordering Counties: Carroll County (north), Ogle County (northeast), Lee County (east), Bureau County (southeast), Henry County (south), Rock Island County (southwest), Clinton County, IA (west)
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Albany, Coleta, Deer Grove, Erie, Fulton, Lyndon, Morrison, Prophetstown, Rock Falls, Sterling, Tampico
- Townships: Jordan, Hume, Hopkins, Fenton, Erie, Genesee, Fulton, Garden Plain, Hahnaman, Albany, Coloma, Clyde, Prophetstown, Portland, Lyndon, Montmorency, Mount Pleasant, Newton, Sterling, Union Grove, Ustick, Tampico
Whiteside County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Whiteside County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lyndon Historical Society, Lyndon
- Morrison Historical Society, 229 E. Main St, PO Box 1, Morrison IL 61270
- Prophetstown Area Historical Society, 320 Washington St, Prophetstown IL 61277
- Sterling-Rock Falls Historical Society, 1005 E. Third Street, P.O. Box 65, Sterling, IL 61081; (815) 622-6215
- Tampico Area Historical Society, 119 Main St., P. O. Box 154, Tampico, IL 61283
- Tri-Township Heritage House, 306 Lime St, Albany IL 61230 (covers Albany, Garden Plain, Newton Twps.)
- Whiteside County Genealogists, PO Box 145, Sterling IL 61081
- Northern Illinois University (NIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, c/o Regional History Center, Founders Memorial Library, Rm. 400, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL 60115; 815-753-1807
- Whiteside County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Whiteside County
- Whiteside County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Whiteside County
- USGenWeb Archives for Whiteside County
Whiteside County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Whiteside County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Whiteside County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in Whiteside County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
- Whiteside County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 200 E. Knox St., Morrison, IL 61270-2698
- Whiteside County Clerk maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County.
- Phone: 815-772-5189
- Marriage Records: 1857
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Whiteside County Recorder of Deeds serves the people of County by receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 815-772-5192
- Land Records:1838
- Whiteside County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 815-772-5188
- Probate Records: 1839
- Court Records: 1838
- Whiteside County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Whiteside County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Whiteside County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Whiteside County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Whiteside Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Whiteside Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Whiteside Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Whiteside Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Whiteside Co. IL Census Records
Whiteside Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Whiteside Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Whiteside Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Whiteside Co. IL General and History Websites
Whiteside Co. IL Military Records
- Illinois Military Records (fold3.com) gives easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Illinois both males and females that served. Suitable for Whiteside County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.