Vermilion County, Illinois Facts
Vermilion County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Vermilion Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Vermilion County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.vermilion.il.us
- Created Date / Origin: January 18, 1826 from Edgar County and Clark County
- County Seat: Danville (prior county seats was held at the home of James Butler and Asa Elliott from 1826–1827)
- Named After: The Vermilion River
- Bordering Counties: Iroquois County (north), Benton County, IN (northeast), Warren County, IN (east), Vermillion County, IN (east), Edgar County (south), Douglas County (southwest), Champaign County (west), Ford County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Danville, Hoopeston, Georgetown, Allerton, Sidell, Alvin, Bismarck, Rossville, Tilton, Belgium, Westville, Ridge Farm
- Townships: Jamaica, Elwood, Georgetown, Grant, Blount, Butler, Carroll, Catlin, Danville, Pilot, Oakwood, Middlefork, McKendree, Love, Newell, South Ross, Sidell, Ross, Vance
Vermilion County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Vermilion County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Catlin Historical Society, 210 North Paris, Catlin, Illinois 61817; 217-427-5766
- Illiana Genealogical & Historical Society, 215 W. North St., Danville, Illinois
- Illinois State University, Campus Box 5500, Normal, IL 61790-5500; (309) 452-6027
- Vermilion County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Vermilion County
- Vermilion County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Vermilion County
- USGenWeb Archives for Vermilion County
Vermilion County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Vermilion County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Vermilion County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Vermilion county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. Some records lost or damaged in a fire on 1872
- Vermilion County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 6 N. Vermilion, Danville, IL 61832–5879
- Vermilion County Clerk maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County.
- Phone: 217-431-2607
- Marriage Records: 1826
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- ????? County Recorder of Deeds serves the people of County by receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 217-431-2604
- Land Records:1826
- Vermilion County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 217-431-2540
- Probate Records: 1826
- Court Records: 1826
- Vermilion County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Vermilion County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Vermilion County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Vermilion County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Vermilion Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Vermilion Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Vermilion Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Vermilion Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Vermilion Co. IL Census Records
Vermilion Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Vermilion Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Vermilion Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Vermilion Co. IL General and History Websites
- Vermilion County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Vermilion County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- History of Vermilion County, Illinois : a tale of its evolution, settlement, and progress for nearly a century (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Vermilion County : together with historic notes on the Northwest, gleaned from early authors, old maps and manuscrip (search.ancestry.com)
- The past and present of Vermilion County, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical album of Vermilion and Edgar Counties, Illinois : containing full page portraits and biographical ske (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical album of Vermilion County, Illinois : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of pro (search.ancestry.com)
- Vermilion County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Vermilion Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Vermilion County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - Vermilion (cyndislist.com)
- Vermilion County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Vermilion Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Vermilion County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Vermilion Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Vermilion Co. IL Military Records
Vermilion Co. IL Schools & Directories