Pike County, Illinois Facts
Pike County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Pike Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Pike County Facts
- Government Website: www.pikeil.org/county_government.jsp
- Created Date / Origin: January 31, 1821 from Madison County
- County Seat: Pittsfield (prior county seats was Coles’ Grove—Now Gilead in Calhoun County from 1821–1824, Atlas from 1824–1833)
- Named After: Zebulon Pike (1779-1813), early explorer of the American Southwest, namesake of Pikes Peak
- Bordering Counties: Brown County (north), Scott County (east), Morgan County (east), Greene County (southeast), Calhoun County (southeast), Pike County, MO (south), Ralls County, MO (west), Adams County (northwest), Marion County, MO (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Atlas, Barry, Baylis, Bedford, Chambersburg, Detroit, El Dara, Fishhook, Florence, Griggsville, Hull, Kinderhook, Martinsburg, Maysville, Meredosia, Milton, Montezuma, Nebo, New Canton, New Hartford, New Salem, Pearl, Perry, Pittsfield, Pleasant Hill, Seehorn, Time, Valley City
- Townships: Levee, Kinderhook, Hardin, Flint, Fairmount, Griggsville, Hadley, Atlas, Barry, Cincinnati, Chambersburg, Derry, Detroit, Pleasant Vale, Perry, Pearl, Pittsfield, Pleasant Hill, Martinsburg, Montezuma, New Salem, Newburg, Spring Creek, Ross
Pike County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Pike County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Griggsville Area Genealogical & Historical Society, PO Box 75, Griggsville IL 62340
- Pike/Calhoun Genealogical Society, PO Box 104, Pleasant Hill IL 62366
- Western Illinois University Region (WIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, University Library, Western Illinois University, 1 University Circle, Macomb, IL 61455; 309-298-2716
- Pike County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Pike County
- Pike County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Pike County
- USGenWeb Archives for Pike County
Pike County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Pike County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Pike County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Pike county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. Some records lost or damaged in a fire in 1831
- Pike County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 E. Washington St., Pittsfield, IL 62363
- Pike County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 217-285-6812
- Marriage Records: 1827
- Birth & Death Records: 1876
- Land Records: 1818
- Pike County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 217-285-6812
- Probate Records: 1821
- Court Records: 1819
- Pike County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Pike County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Pike County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Pike County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Pike Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Pike Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Pike Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Pike Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Pike Co. IL Census Records
Pike Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Pike Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Pike Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Pike Co. IL General and History Websites
- Pike County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Pike County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- History of Pike County, Illinois : together with sketches of its cities, villages and townships, educational, religious, civil, (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical album of Pike and Calhoun Counties, Illinois : containing full page portraits and biographical sketch (search.ancestry.com)
- Past and present of Pike County, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- The Jess M. Thompson Pike County history : as printed in installments in the Pike County republican, Pittsfield, Illinois, 1935 (search.ancestry.com)
- Pike and Calhoun Counties, Illinois Biographical Dictionary (search.ancestry.com)
- Pike County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Pike Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Pike County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - Pike (cyndislist.com)
- Pike County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Pike Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Pike County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Pike Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Pike Co. IL Military Records
- Illinois Military Records (fold3.com) gives easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Illinois both males and females that served. Suitable for Pike County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.