Morgan County, Illinois Facts
Morgan County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Morgan Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Morgan County Facts
- Government Website: www.morgancounty-il.com/
- Created Date / Origin: January 31, 1823 from unorganized land and Sangamon County
- County Seat: Jacksonville (prior county seats was Olmstead’s Mounds Temporary designation from 1823–1825)
- Named After: Gen. Daniel Morgan (1736-1802), successful tactician in the American Revolutionary War and later United States Representative from Virginia
- Bordering Counties: Cass County (north), Sangamon County (east), Macoupin County (southeast), Greene County (south), Pike County (west), Scott County (west), Brown County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Bethel, Chapin, Concord, Franklin, Jacksonville, Lynnville, Meredosia, Murrayville, Orleans, Prentice, South Jacksonville, Waverly, Woodson
- Precincts: Alexander, Arcadia, Centerville, Chapin, Concord, Franklin, Jacksonville, Literberry, Lynnville, Markham, Meredosia, Murrayville, Nortonville, Pisgah, Prentice, Sinclair, Waverly, Woodson
Morgan County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Morgan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jacksonville Area Genealogical & Historical Society, 416 South Main Street, Jacksonville, Illinois
- Meredosia Area Historical & Genealogical Society, PO Box 304, Meredosia IL 62665
- Waverly Genealogical & Historical Society, 157 E. Tremont, Waverly IL 62692
- University of Illinois at Springfield (UIS), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, LIB 144, University of Illinois at Springfield, One University Plaza, MS BRK 140, Springfield, IL 62703-5407; 217-206-6520
- Morgan County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Morgan County
- Morgan County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Morgan County
- USGenWeb Archives for Morgan County
Morgan County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Morgan County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Morgan County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Morgan county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. Most records lost (1823–1827) due to a Fire on December 6, 1827
- Morgan County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 300 W. State St., Jacksonville, IL 62650
- Morgan County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: (217) 243-8581
- Marriage Records: 1827
- Birth & Death Records: 1851
- Land Records: 1824
- Morgan County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 217-243-5419
- Probate Records: 1824
- Court Records: 1827
- Morgan County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Morgan County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Morgan County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Morgan County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Morgan Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Morgan Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Morgan Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Morgan Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Morgan Co. IL Census Records
Morgan Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Morgan Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Morgan Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Morgan Co. IL General and History Websites
Morgan Co. IL Military Records
- Illinois Military Records (fold3.com) gives easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Illinois both males and females that served. Suitable for Morgan County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.