McLean County, Illinois Facts
McLean County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your McLean Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
McLean County Facts
- Government Website: www.mcleancountyil.gov
- Created Date / Origin: December 25, 1830 from Tazewell County and unorganized land
- County Seat: Bloomington, was named Blooming Grove until 1831
- Named After: John McLean (1791-1830), United States Representative and United States Senator from Illinois (the latter from 1824-1825 and 1829-1830)
- Bordering Counties: Woodford County (northwest), Livingston County (northeast), Ford County (east), Champaign County (southeast), Piatt County (south), DeWitt County (south), Logan County (southwest), Tazewell County (west)
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Anchor, Arrowsmith, Bellflower, Bloomington, Carlock, Chenoa, Colfax, Cooksville, Danvers, Downs, Ellsworth, Gridley, Heyworth, Hudson, Le Roy, Lexington, Merna, McLean, Normal, Saybrook, Shirley, Stanford, Towanda
- Townships: Lexington, Lawndale, Hudson, Empire, Funk’s Grove, Gridley, Blue Mound, Bloomington, Bloomington City, Arrowsmith, Allin, Anchor, Bellflower, Cheney’s Grove, Chenoa, Dawson, Danvers, Dale, Cropsey, Downs, Dry Grove, Randolph, Old Town, Normal, Martin, Mount Hope, Money Creek, Towanda, White Oak, West, Yates
McLean County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of McLean County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lexington Genealogical & Historical Society, Inc., 318 West Main Street, Lexington, Illinois 61753; Phone: 309-365-4591
- McLean County Genealogical Society, Courthouse Square, Bloomington, Illinois
- McLean County Historical Society, 200 North Main Street, Bloomington, IL 61701
- Illinois State University, Campus Box 5500, Normal, IL 61790-5500; (309) 452-6027
- McLean County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in McLean County
- McLean County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for McLean County
- USGenWeb Archives for McLean County
McLean County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of McLean County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the McLean County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in McLean county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. Some records lost or damaged in a fire on June 19, 1900
- McLean County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address:115 E. Washington St., Bloomington, IL 61701
- McLean County Clerk maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County.
- Phone: 309-888-5190
- Marriage Records: 1831
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- McLean County Recorder of Deeds serves the people of County by receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: (309) 888-5170
- Land Records:1831
- McLean County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Address: McLean County Law and Justice Center, 104 W. Front St., Bloomington, IL 61701
- Phone: 309-888-5301
- Probate Records: 1831
- Court Records: 1831
- McLean County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
McLean County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to McLean County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred McLean County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
McLean Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
McLean Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
McLean Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
McLean Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
McLean Co. IL Census Records
McLean Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
McLean Co. IL Church & Bible Records
McLean Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
McLean Co. IL General and History Websites
- McLean County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- McLean County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- Index of McLean County, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- An index to The good old times in McLean County, Illinois : containing two hundred and sixty-one sketches of old settlers, a co (search.ancestry.com)
- Historical encyclopedia of Illinois and History of McLean County (search.ancestry.com)
- History of McLean County, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- The History of McLean County, Illinois : containing a history of the county, its cities, towns, &c., portraits of early settler (search.ancestry.com)
- The good old times in McLean County, Illinois : containing two hundred and sixty-one sketches of old settlers, a complete histo (search.ancestry.com)
- Chenoa community centennial : a century of co-operation, 1854-1954. (search.ancestry.com)
- McLean County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- McLean Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- McLean County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - McLean (cyndislist.com)
- McLean County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- McLean Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- McLean County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- McLean Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
McLean Co. IL Military Records