Madison County, Illinois Facts
Madison County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Madison Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Madison County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.madison.il.us
- Created Date / Origin: September 14, 1812 from St.
- County Seat: Edwardsville (prior county seats was )
- Named After: James Madison (1751-1836), fourth President of the United States and principal author of the Constitution of the United States.
- Bordering Counties: Bond County (east), Clinton County (southeast), Jersey County (northwest), St. Clair County (south), Montgomery County (northeast), Macoupin County (north)
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Alton, Collinsville, Edwardsville, Granite City, Highland, Madison, Troy, Venice, Wood River, Alhambra, Bethalto, East Alton, Glen Carbon, Godfrey, Grantfork, Hamel, Hartford, Livingston, Marine, Maryville, New Douglas, Pontoon Beach, Roxana, South Roxana, St. Jacob, Williamson, Worden
- Townships: Leef, Helvetia, Hamel, Jarvis, Edwardsville, Foster, Fort Russell, Granite City, Godfrey, Alhambra, Alton, Collinsville, Chouteau, Pin Oak, Omphghent, Olive, Marine, Moro, Nameoki, New Douglas, St. Jacob, Saline, Venice, Wood River
Madison County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Madison County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Madison County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 631, Edwardsville, IL 62025-0631
- The Hayner Public Library District, 401 State Street, Alton, IL, Phone: 618-462-0677
- Southern Illinois University (SIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, c/o Special Collections, Morris Library – 6632, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL 62901-6632; 618-453-3040
- Madison County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Madison County
- Madison County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Madison County
- USGenWeb Archives for Madison County
Madison County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Madison County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Madison County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in Madison County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
- Madison County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 155 N. Main St., Edwardsville, IL 62025
- Madison County Clerk maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County.
- Marriage Records: 1813
- Birth & Death Records: 1858 / 1877
- Madison County Recorder of Deeds serves the people of County by receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 618-692-8919
- Land Records:1802
- Madison County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: (618) 296-4470
- Probate Records: 1813
- Court Records: 1803
- Madison County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Madison County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Madison County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Madison County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Madison Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Madison Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Historical Newspapers from Illinois (1808 - 1922) (genealogybank.com)
- Edwardsville Intelligencer (Edwardsville, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- Daily Alton Telegraph, The (Alton, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- Alton Telegraph And Democratic Review (Alton, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Alton Telegraph (Alton, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Alton Weekly Courier (Alton, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- Alton Daily Telegraph (Alton, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- Alton Weekly Telegraph (Alton, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Madison County Courier (Edwardsville, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- Alton Observer (Alton, Illinois) (search.ancestry.com)
- Madison County, Illinois Books (amazon.com)
- Search Illinois Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Illinois Newspapers (newspaperarchives.com)
Madison Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Madison Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Madison Co. IL Census Records
Madison Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Madison Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Madison Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Madison Co. IL General and History Websites
Madison Co. IL Military Records
- Illinois Military Records (fold3.com) gives easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Illinois both males and females that served. Suitable for Madison County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Madison Co. IL Schools & Directories