Logan County, Illinois Facts
Logan County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Logan Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Logan County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.logan.il.us
- Created Date / Origin: February 15, 1839 from McLean County, Sangamon County and Tazewell County
- County Seat: Lincoln (prior county seats was Postville [Name changed to Camden prior to 1847] from 1839–1847, Mt. Pulaski from 1847–1853)
- Named After: John Logan, a country doctor and early settler, and the father of John A. Logan.
- Bordering Counties: McLean County (northeast), DeWitt County (east), Macon County (southeast), Sangamon County (south), Menard County (west), Mason County (northwest), Tazewell County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Atlanta, Beason, Broadwell, Burtonview, Chestervale, Chestnut, Cornland, Elkhart, Emden, Hartsburg, Lake Fork, Lawndale, Latham, Lincoln, Middletown, Mount Pulaski, New Holland, San Jose
- Townships: Lake Fork, Laenna, Hurlbut, Eminence, East Lincoln, Elkhart, Broadwell, Aetna, Atlanta, Chester, Corwin, Prairie Creek, Orvil, Oran, Mount Pulaski, Sheridan, West Lincoln
Logan County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Logan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Logan County Genealogical & Historical Society, 114 N. Chicago Street, Lincoln, IL 62656; Phone:(217) 732-3200
- Mt. Pulaski Township Historical Society, 102-104 East Cooke St, Mt. Pulaski, IL; 217 792-3719
- Illinois State University, Campus Box 5500, Normal, IL 61790-5500; (309) 452-6027
- Logan County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Logan County
- Logan County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Logan County
- USGenWeb Archives for Logan County
Logan County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Logan County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Logan County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Logan county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. Total record loss (1839–1857) due to a Fire on April 15, 1857
- Logan County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 601 Broadway St., Lincoln, IL 62656
- Logan County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 217-732-4148
- Marriage Records: 1857
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1829
- Logan County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 217-735-2376
- Probate Records: 1855
- Court Records: 1857
- Logan County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Logan County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Logan County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Logan County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Logan Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Logan Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Logan Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Logan Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Logan Co. IL Census Records
Logan Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Logan Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Logan Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Logan Co. IL General and History Websites
- Logan County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Logan County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- History of Logan County, Illinois : a record of its settlement, organization, progress and achievement (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Logan County, Illinois : together with sketches of its cities, villages and towns, educational, religious, civil, mi (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Logan County, Illinois : its past and present : containing a history of the county, its cities, towns, etc., a biogr (search.ancestry.com)
- Logan County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Logan Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Logan County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - Logan (cyndislist.com)
- Logan County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Logan Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Logan County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Logan Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Logan Co. IL Military Records
- Illinois Military Records (fold3.com) gives easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Illinois both males and females that served. Suitable for Logan County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.