Livingston County, Illinois Facts
Livingston County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Livingston Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Livingston County Facts
- Government Website: livingstoncountyil.gov
- Created Date / Origin: February 27, 1837 from unorganized land, La Salle County and McLean County
- County Seat: Pontiac
- Named After: Edward Livingston (1764-1836), prominent jurist, Congressman from New York and Louisiana, and U.S. Secretary of State from 1831 to 1833.
- Bordering Counties: Grundy County (north), Kankakee County (northeast), Ford County (southeast), McLean County (southwest), Woodford County (west), LaSalle County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Campus, Chatsworth, Cornell, Cullom, Dwight, Emington, Fairbury, Flanagan, Forrest, Long Point, Odell, Pontiac, Saunemin, Strawn
- Townships: Indian Grove, Fayette, Eppards Point, Esmen, Dwight, Germanville, Forrest, Broughton, Amity, Avoca, Belle Prairie, Charlotte, Chatsworth, Reading, Pontiac, Pike, Pleasant Ridge, Odell, Owego, Long Point, Nebraska, Nevada, Newtown, Rooks Creek, Round Grove, Saunemin, Waldo, Union, Sunbury, Sullivan
Livingston County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Livingston County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Dwight Genealogical Society, PO Box 315, Dwight IL 60420
- Lexington Genealogical & Historical Society, Inc., 318 West Main Street, Lexington, Illinois 61753; Phone: 309-365-4591
- Odell Prairie Trails Historical & Genealogical Society, PO Box 82, Odell IL 60460
- Illinois State University, Campus Box 5500, Normal, IL 61790-5500; (309) 452-6027
- Livingston County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Livingston County
- Livingston County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Livingston County
- USGenWeb Archives for Livingston County
Livingston County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Livingston County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Livingston County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in Livingston County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
- Livingston County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 112 W. Madison St., Pontiac, IL 61764
- Livingston County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 815-844-2006, ext. 128
- Marriage Records: 1837
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1835
- Livingston County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 815-844-2602, ext. 139
- Probate Records: 1837
- Court Records: 1839
- Livingston County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Livingston County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Livingston County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Livingston County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Livingston Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Livingston Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Livingston Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Livingston Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Livingston Co. IL Census Records
Livingston Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Livingston Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Livingston Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Livingston Co. IL General and History Websites
Livingston Co. IL Military Records
- Illinois Military Records (fold3.com) gives easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Illinois both males and females that served. Suitable for Livingston County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Livingston Co. IL Schools & Directories