Lawrence County, Illinois Facts
Lawrence County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Lawrence Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Lawrence County Facts
- Government Website: www.lawrencecountyillinois.com
- Created Date / Origin: January 16, 1821 from Crawford and Edwards
- County Seat: Lawrenceville (prior county seats was Home of Toussaint Dubois in 1821)
- Named After: Capt. James Lawrence (1781-1813), commander of the USS Chesapeake in the War of 1812. Famous for his command "Don't give up the ship!"
- Bordering Counties: Crawford County (north), Knox County, IN (east), Wabash County (south), Richland County (west)
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Bridgeport, Lawrenceville, St. Francisville, Sumner, Birds, Russellville
- Townships: Lawrence, Bridgeport, Bond, Allison, Christy, Denison, Petty, Lukin, Russell
Lawrence County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lawrence County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lawrence County Historical Society, P.O. Box 425, Lawrenceville, IL 62439; (618) 943-2300
- Lawrence County Genealogical Society, RR 1, Box 44, Bridgeport 62417
- Eastern Illinois University, Booth Library, 600 Lincoln Ave, Charleston, IL 61920; (217) 581-6093
- Lawrence County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lawrence County
- Lawrence County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lawrence County
- USGenWeb Archives for Lawrence County
Lawrence County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Lawrence County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Lawrence County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in Lawrence County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
- Lawrence County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1100 State St., Lawrenceville, IL 62439
- Lawrence County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: County Clerk 618-943-2346 ; Recorder 618-943-5126
- Marriage Records: 1821
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1818
- Lawrence County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 618-943-2815
- Probate Records: 1821
- Court Records: 1820
- Lawrence County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Lawrence County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Lawrence County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Lawrence County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Lawrence Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lawrence Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lawrence Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lawrence Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lawrence Co. IL Census Records
Lawrence Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lawrence Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Lawrence Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lawrence Co. IL General and History Websites
Lawrence Co. IL Military Records
- Illinois Military Records (fold3.com) gives easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Illinois both males and females that served. Suitable for Lawrence County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Lawrence Co. IL Schools & Directories