LaSalle County, Illinois Facts
LaSalle County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your LaSalle Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
LaSalle County Facts
- Government Website: No website
- Created Date / Origin: January 15, 1831 from unorganized land and Putnam County
- County Seat: Ottawa
- Named After: Sieur de la Salle (1643-1687), French explorer of the Great Lakes.
- Bordering Counties: Lee County (northwest), DeKalb County (northeast), Kendall County (east), Grundy County (east), Livingston County (southeast), Woodford County (south), Marshall County (southwest), Putnam County (west), Bureau County (west)
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Cedar Point, Dalzell, Dana, Earlville, Grand Ridge, Kangley, LaSalle, Leland, Leonore, Lostant, Marseilles, Millington, Mendota, Naplate, North Utica, Norway, Oglesby, Ottawa, Peru, Ransom, Rutland, Sandwich, Seneca, Serena, Sheridan, Somonauk, Streator, Tonica, Triumph, Troy Grove, Wenona
- Townships: LaSalle, Hope, Farm Ridge, Fall River, Eden, Earl, Eagle, Freedom, Grand Rapids, Groveland, Bruce, Brookfield, Adams, Allen, Dayton, Dimmick, Deer Park, Peru, Northville, Ottawa, Osage, Ophir, Otter Creek, Meriden, Mendota, Manlius, Miller, Mission, South Ottawa, Serena, Richland, Rutland, Wallace, Vermilion, Troy Grove, Utica, Waltham
LaSalle County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of LaSalle County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Earlville Community Historical Society, 205 winthrop street, p.o.box 420, earlville, illinois 60518
- LaSalle County Genealogy Guild, 115 W Glover St, Ottawa, IL 61350
- Northern Illinois University (NIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, c/o Regional History Center, Founders Memorial Library, Rm. 400, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL 60115; 815-753-1807
- LaSalle County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in LaSalle County
- LaSalle County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for LaSalle County
- USGenWeb Archives for LaSalle County
LaSalle County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of LaSalle County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the LaSalle County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in LaSalle County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
- LaSalle County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 707 Etna Rd., Ottawa, IL 61350
- LaSalle County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: County Clerk 815-434-8202 ; Recorder 815-434-8226
- Marriage Records: 1831
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1831
- LaSalle County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Address: Madison & Columbus St., Ottawa, Illinois 61350
- Phone: 815-434-8271
- Probate Records: 1831
- Court Records: 1831
- LaSalle County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
LaSalle County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to LaSalle County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred LaSalle County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
LaSalle Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
LaSalle Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
LaSalle Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
LaSalle Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
LaSalle Co. IL Census Records
LaSalle Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
LaSalle Co. IL Church & Bible Records
LaSalle Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
LaSalle Co. IL General and History Websites
- LaSalle County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- LaSalle County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- History of La Salle County, Illinois : together with sketches of its cities, villages and towns, educational, religious, civil, (search.ancestry.com)
- History of La Salle County, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- Biographical and genealogical record of La Salle County, Illinois (search.ancestry.com)
- La Salle County centennial (search.ancestry.com)
- LaSalle County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- LaSalle Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- LaSalle County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - LaSalle (cyndislist.com)
- LaSalle County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- LaSalle Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- LaSalle County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- LaSalle Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
LaSalle Co. IL Military Records
- Illinois Military Records (fold3.com) gives easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Illinois both males and females that served. Suitable for LaSalle County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.