Jasper County, Illinois Facts
Jasper County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Jasper Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Jasper County Facts
- Government Website: www.jaspercountyillinois.org
- Created Date / Origin: February 15, 1831 from Clay County and Crawford County
- County Seat: Newton (prior county seats was )
- Named After: Sgt. William Jasper (c. 1750-1779), a Sergeant of the American Revolutionary War who, during the action in Charleston harbor, replaced the flag shot away at Fort Moultrie, and later was killed at Savannah in 1779
- Bordering Counties: Cumberland County (north), Clark County (northeast), Crawford County (east), Richland County (south), Clay County (southwest), Effingham County (west)
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Newton, Ste. Marie, Hidalgo, Rose Hill, Wheeler, Willow Hill, Yale
- Townships: Hunt City, Fox, Grandville, Grove, Crooked Creek, North Muddy, South Muddy, Smallwood, Sainte Marie, Wade, Willow Hill
Jasper County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Jasper County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Jasper County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Jasper County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Jasper County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in Jasper County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
- Jasper County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 W. Jourdan St., Newton, IL 62448
- Jasper County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Address: Jasper County Office Bldg., 204 West Washington St., Ste. 2, Newton, IL 62448-1252
- Phone: 618-783-3124
- Marriage Records: 1835
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1835
- Jasper County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 618-783-2524
- Probate Records: 1835
- Court Records: 1835
- Jasper County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Jasper County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Jasper County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Jasper County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Jasper Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jasper Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jasper Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Jasper Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Jasper Co. IL Census Records
Jasper Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Jasper Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Jasper Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jasper Co. IL General and History Websites
Jasper Co. IL Military Records
- Illinois Military Records (fold3.com) gives easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Illinois both males and females that served. Suitable for Jasper County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.