Hancock County, Illinois Facts
Hancock County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Hancock Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Hancock County Facts
- Government Website: www.hancockcountycourthouse.org
- Created Date / Origin: January 13, 1825 from Pike County
- County Seat: Carthage
- Named After: John Hancock (1737–1793), first governor of the Massachusetts colony and president of the Second Continental Congress
- Bordering Counties: Henderson County (northeast), McDonough County (east), Schuyler County (southeast), Adams County (south), Lewis County, MO (southwest), Clark County, MO (west), Lee County, IA (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Augusta, Basco, Bentley, Bowen, Carthage, Dallas City (partly in Henderson County), Elvaston, Ferris, Fountain Green, Hamilton, La Harpe, Nauvoo, Plymouth, Pontoosuc, Warsaw, West Point
- Townships: La Harpe, Hancock, Harmony, Fountain Green, Appanoose, Augusta, Bear Creek, Chili, Carthage, Dallas City, Durham, Pontoosuc, Prairie, Pilot Grove, Montebello, Nauvoo, St. Mary's, St. Albans, Sonora, Rocky Run, Rock Creek, Walker, Warsaw, Wilcox, Wythe
Hancock County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Hancock County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hancock County Genealogical & Historical Society, PO Box 68, Carthage, IL 62321
- LaHarpe Historical & Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 289, LaHarpe, Illinois 61450
- Western Illinois University Region (WIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, University Library, Western Illinois University, 1 University Circle, Macomb, IL 61455; 309-298-2716
- Hancock County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hancock County
- Hancock County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Hancock County
- USGenWeb Archives for Hancock County
Hancock County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Hancock County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Hancock County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in Hancock County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
- Hancock County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Courthouse Square, Carthage, Illinois 62321-0189
- Hancock County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 217-357-3911
- Marriage Records: 1829
- Birth & Death Records: 1844 / 1878
- Land Records: 1817
- Hancock County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 217-357-2616
- Probate Records: 1830
- Court Records: 1829
- Hancock County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Hancock County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Hancock County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Hancock County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Hancock Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hancock Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hancock Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Hancock Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hancock Co. IL Census Records
Hancock Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Hancock Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Hancock Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hancock Co. IL General and History Websites
Hancock Co. IL Military Records
- Illinois Military Records (fold3.com) gives easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Illinois both males and females that served. Suitable for Hancock County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.