Edwards County, Illinois Facts
Edwards County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Edwards Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Edwards County Facts
- Government Website: No website
- Created Date / Origin: November 28, 1814 from Gallatin County and Madison County
- County Seat: Albion (prior county seats was Palmyra from 1814–1821)
- Named After: Ninian Edwards (1775–1833), third Governor of the State of Illinois and only governor of the Illinois Territory
- Bordering Counties: Richland County (north), Wabash County (east), Gibson County, IN (southeast), White County (south), Wayne County (west)
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Albion, Grayville (north half), Bone Gap, Browns, West Salem
- Precinct s: Albion No. 1, Albion No. 2, Albion No. 3, Bone Gap, Browns, Dixon, Ellery, French Creek, Salem No. 1, Salem No. 2, Shelby No. 1, Shelby No. 2
Edwards County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Edwards County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Edwards County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Edwards County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Edwards County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in Edwards County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
- Edwards County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 50 E. Main St., Albion, IL 62806
- Edwards County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 618-445-2115
- Marriage Records: 1815
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1815
- Edwards County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 618-445-2016
- Probate Records: 1815
- Court Records: 1815
- Edwards County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Edwards County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Edwards County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Edwards County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Edwards Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Edwards Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Edwards Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Edwards Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Edwards Co. IL Census Records
Edwards Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Edwards Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Edwards Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Edwards Co. IL General and History Websites
- Edwards County, Illinois Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Edwards County Fact Sheet (cyberdriveillinois.com)
- Edwards, Lawrence, and Wabash Counties, Illinois History (search.ancestry.com)
- Combined history of Edwards, Lawrence and Wabash Counties, Illinois : with illustrations descriptive of their scenery and biogr (search.ancestry.com)
- History of the English settlement in Edwards County, Illinois, founded in 1817 and 1818, by Morris Birkbeck and George Flower (search.ancestry.com)
- Edwards County, Illinois History of the English Settlement (search.ancestry.com)
- Edwards County, Illinois Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Edwards Co. IL Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Edwards County, Illinois (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Illinois - Counties - Edwards (cyndislist.com)
- Edwards County Illinois (genealogytrails.com)
- Edwards Co. ILGenweb (ilgenweb.net)
- Edwards County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Edwards Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Edwards Co. IL Military Records
- Illinois Military Records (fold3.com) gives easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Illinois both males and females that served. Suitable for Edwards County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Edwards Co. IL Schools & Directories