Coles County, Illinois Facts
Coles County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Coles Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Coles County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.coles.il.us/
- Created Date / Origin: December 25, 1830 from Clark County and Edgar County
- County Seat: Charleston
- Named After: Edward Coles (1786–1868), second Governor of Illinois, responsible for the abolition of slavery in Illinois
- Bordering Counties: Douglas County (north), Edgar County (northeast), Clark County (southeast), Cumberland County (south), Shelby County (west), Moultrie County (west)
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Charleston, Mattoon, Ashmore, Humboldt, Lerna, Oakland
- Townships: Lafayette, Hutton, Humboldt, East Oakland, Ashmore, Charleston, Pleasant Grove, North Okaw, Paradise, Mattoon, Morgan, Seven Hickory
Coles County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Coles County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Coles County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Coles County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Coles County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in Coles County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
- Coles County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 651 Jackson Ave., Charleston, IL 61920
- Coles County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 217-348-0501
- Marriage Records: 1831
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1830
- Coles County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 217-348-0516
- Probate Records: 1830
- Court Records: 1831
- Coles County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Coles County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Coles County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Coles County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Coles Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Coles Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Coles Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Coles Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Coles Co. IL Census Records
Coles Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Coles Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Coles Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Coles Co. IL General and History Websites
Coles Co. IL Military Records
- Illinois Military Records (fold3.com) gives easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Illinois both males and females that served. Suitable for Coles County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.