Carroll County, Illinois Facts
Carroll County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Carroll Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Carroll County Facts
- Government Website: www.carroll-county.net
- Created Date / Origin: February 22, 1839 from Jo Daviess County
- County Seat: Mount Carroll (prior county seats was Savanna from 1839–1843)
- Named After: Charles Carroll of Carrollton (1737–1832), signed the Declaration of Independence on behalf of Maryland
- Bordering Counties: Stephenson County (northeast), Ogle County (east), Whiteside County (south), Clinton County, IA (southwest), Jackson County, IA (northwest), Jo Daviess County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Lanark, Mt. Carroll, Savanna, Milledgeville, Chadwick, Shannon, Thomson
- Townships: Fairhaven, Elkhorn Grove, Freedom, Cherry Grove-Shannon, Mount Carroll, Rock Creek-Lima, Salem, Savanna, Washington, Woodland, Wysox, York
Carroll County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Carroll County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Carroll County Genealogical Society, History Room of the Savanna Township Library, 326 Third Street, Savanna, IL 61074; Phone: (815) 273-3714
- Carroll County Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution
- Northern Illinois University (NIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, c/o Regional History Center, Founders Memorial Library, Rm. 400, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL 60115; 815-753-1807
- Carroll County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Carroll County
- Carroll County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Carroll County
- USGenWeb Archives for Carroll County
Carroll County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Carroll County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Carroll County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in Carroll County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
- Carroll County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 301 N. Main, Mt. Carroll, IL 61053
- Carroll County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: Clerk's Office (815) 244-0221 ; Recorder's Office (815) 244-0223
- Marriage Records: 1839
- Birth & Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1837
- Carroll County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: (815) 244-0282
- Probate Records: 1839
- Court Records: 1837
- Carroll County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Carroll County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Carroll County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Carroll County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Carroll Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Carroll Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Carroll Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Carroll Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Carroll Co. IL Census Records
Carroll Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Carroll Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Carroll Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Carroll Co. IL General and History Websites
Carroll Co. IL Military Records
- Illinois Military Records (fold3.com) gives easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Illinois both males and females that served. Suitable for Carroll County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.