Bureau County, Illinois Facts
Bureau County, Illinois genealogy and family history research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Bureau Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Bureau County Facts
- Government Website: www.bureaucounty.us
- Created Date / Origin: February 28, 1837 from Putnam County
- County Seat: Princeton
- Named After: Pierre de Bureo, Frenchman, North American fur trader
- Bordering Counties: Lee County (north), Putnam County (southeast), LaSalle County (east), Marshall County (south), Stark County (southwest), Henry County (west), Whiteside County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Villages: Arlington, Buda, Bureau Junction, Cherry, Dalzell, De Pue, Dover, Hollowayville, La Moille, Ladd, Malden, Manlius, Mineral, Neponset, New Bedford, Ohio, Princeton, Seatonville, Kasbeer, Sheffield, Spring Valley, Tiskilwa, Walnut, Wyanet
- Townships: Leepertown, Lamoille, Indiantown, Fairfield, Gold, Greenville, Hall, Bureau, Berlin, Arispie, Clarion, Concord, Dover, Princeton, Ohio, Macon, Manlius, Milo, Mineral, Neponset, Selby, Walnut, Westfield, Wheatland, Wyanet
Bureau County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Bureau County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Illinois State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Bureau County Genealogical Society, 629 S. Main Street, Princeton, IL 61356-2012; Phone: (815) 879-3133
- Bureau County Historical Society, 109 Park Avenue West, Princeton, IL; Phone: (815) 875-2184
- Neponset Township Historical Society, Phone: (309) 594-2197
- Sheffield Historical Society, Corner of Cook and Washington, Phone: (815) 454-2788
- Wyanet Historical Society, Main Street, Wyanet, Illinoins
- Northern Illinois University (NIU), Illinois Regional Archives Depository, c/o Regional History Center, Founders Memorial Library, Rm. 400, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL 60115; 815-753-1807
- Bureau County, Illinois Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Bureau County
- Bureau County, Illinois Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Bureau County
- USGenWeb Archives for Bureau County
Bureau County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Bureau County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Illinois courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and worries of the many Illinois people.
The chances are very good that your forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Bureau County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Remember to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will help people in finding the materials, but it's up to the person to perform the researching.
The below information and facts denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records will be in Bureau County. The dates stated listed below tend to be the first noted documents for this particular county.
- Bureau County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 700 S. Main St., Princeton, IL 61356
- Bureau County Clerk & Recorder of Deeds maintains records and issues certificates of vital statistics (birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates) for the entire County. The Recorder's duties are receiving, filing and maintaining all records related to real property in our county. These documents range from all types of conveyance deeds, mortgages, releases and assignments, property liens, as well as, assorted federal, state and local liens. The Recorder’s office is responsible for the recordation and storage of plats of subdivision, land surveys and monument records. Many other types of miscellaneous documents are recorded, such as; foreign birth certificates, foreign marriage licenses, and military discharge paperwork to name a few.
- Phone: 815-875-2014
- Marriage Records: 1837
- Birth & Death Records: 1878
- Land Records: 1817
- Bureau County Clerk of the Circuit Court, commonly known as the Circuit Clerk, is the keeper of the files and records of the Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk's Office retains documents some of which include criminal law, chancery, support, probate, adoption, ect....
- Phone: 815-872-2001
- Probate Records: 1837
- Court Records: 1837
- Bureau County Treasurer's Office is responsible for the statutory duties required as County Treasurer and as Ex-Officio County Collector of Real Estate Property Taxes and Drainage District Taxes for the entire county.
- Illinois Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1916 and Marriage & Divorces since January 1 1962. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Illinois for current fees and application process.
Bureau County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Bureau County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own preferred Bureau County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Bureau Co. IL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Bureau Co. IL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Bureau Co. IL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Bureau Co. IL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Bureau Co. IL Census Records
Bureau Co. IL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Bureau Co. IL Church & Bible Records
Bureau Co. IL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Bureau Co. IL General and History Websites
Bureau Co. IL Military Records
- Illinois Military Records (fold3.com) gives easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Illinois both males and females that served. Suitable for Bureau County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.