Stephens County, Georgia Facts
Stephens County was created on August 18, 1905 from Franklin County and Habersham County. The county was named in honor of Alexander Stephens (1812 - 83), a U.S. Congressman, the Governor of Georgia, and the first and only Vice President of the Confederate States of America.
The Stephens County Seat is located in Toccoa and in the current county government website is www.stephenscountyga.com/.
Counties adjacent to Stephens County are Oconee County, SC (north), Franklin County (south), Banks County (southwest), Habersham County (west), Rabun County (north)
Stephens County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your Family Tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Stephens County Archives, Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Stephens County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Georgia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Stephens County Historical Society, Inc. P.O. Box 125, 160 N. Alexander Street, Toccoa GA, 30577 phone 706-282-5055; Meeting date: Last Sunday each month at 2 p.m. Where: Toccoa-Stephens County Museum, 313 South Pond Street, Toccoa, GA., Membership Dues: $10.00 Annual - Individual,
$15.00 Annual - Family
- East Georgia Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 117, Winder, GA 30680
- Stephens County, Georgia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Stephens County
- Stephens County, Georgia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Stephens County
Stephens County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the importance of Stephens County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of genealogy and family history.
The chances are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive record of at least some aspects of their lives in the Stephens County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Many employees will guide men and women in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the person to do the basic research.
The following county facts denotes the earliest date and what birth, marriage, death, land, wills, and legal records will be in Stephens County.
- Stephens County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Stephens County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, , child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county.
- Phone: 706-886-7525
- Land Records: 1906
- Court Records: 1906
- Stephens County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Phone: 706-886-2828
- Marriage Records: 1906
- Probate Records: 1906
- Georgia Department of Health has copies for copies of birth and death records since Jan 1919, copies of marriage since June 9, 1952 to 1996 and a Divorce records index since June 9, 1952. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Georgia for current fees and application process.
Stephens County Genealogy Links
The following links to Genealogy Resources associated to Stephens County. These links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Stephens County genealogy or family history related sites.
Facts for Stephens Co. GA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Facts for Stephens Co. GA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Facts for Stephens Co. GA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Facts for Stephens Co. GA Census Records
Facts for Stephens Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Facts for Stephens Co. GA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Facts for Stephens Co. GA General and History Websites
Facts for Stephens Co. GA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Facts for Stephens Co. GA Military Records