Richmond County, Georgia Facts
Richmond County was created on February 5, 1777 from St Paul Parish (portion of Richmond County was used to create Columbia County (1790)). The county was named in honor of Charles Lennox, 3rd Duke of Richmond (1735 - 1806), who was sympathetic to the cause of colonial independence.
The Richmond County Seat is located in Augusta and in the current county government website is www.augustaga.gov/
Counties adjacent to Richmond County are Edgefield County, SC (north), Aiken County, SC (northeast), Burke County (south)Jefferson County (southwest), McDuffie County (west), Columbia County (northwest)
Richmond County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your Family Tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790 (missing), 1800 (missing), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Richmond County Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Richmond County Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Richmond County Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Richmond County Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Richmond County Archives, Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Richmond County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Georgia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Augusta Genealogical Society, Box 3743, Augusta, GA 30904; (706) 738-2241
- Augusta Canal Authority, PO Box 2367; Augusta, GA 30903-2367; (706) 823-0440.
- Augusta Museum of History; 560 Reynolds St ; Augusta , GA 30901-1430 ; (706) 722-8454
Augusta-Richmond County Historical Society, ARCHS, 2500 Walton Way , Augusta , GA 30904-2200 ; (706) 737-1532
- Historic Augusta, Inc., PO Box 37; Augusta, GA 30903-0037; (706) 724-0436
- Lucy Craft Laney Museum, 1116 Phillips St; Augusta, GA 30901-2724; (706) 724-3576
- Spirit Creek Bapist Church , 1783 Dixon Airline Rd ; Augusta , GA 30906-8813
- Summerville Neighborhood Assoc., PO Box 12212; Augusta, GA 30914-2212
- Richmond County, Georgia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Richmond County
- Richmond County, Georgia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Richmond County
Richmond County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the importance of Richmond County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of genealogy and family history.
The chances are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive record of at least some aspects of their lives in the Richmond County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Many employees will guide men and women in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the person to do the basic research.
The following county facts denotes the earliest date and what birth, marriage, death, land, wills, and legal records will be in Richmond County.
- Richmond County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Richmond County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, , child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county.
- Phone: (706) 821-2460
- Land Records: 1789
- Court Records: 1782
- Richmond County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Address: 735 James Brown Blvd., Suite 1000, Augusta, GA 30901
- Phone: (706) 821-2434
- Marriage Records: 1785
- Probate Records: 1782
- Richmond County Board of Tax Assessors
- Georgia Department of Health has copies for copies of birth and death records since Jan 1919, copies of marriage since June 9, 1952 to 1996 and a Divorce records index since June 9, 1952. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Georgia for current fees and application process.
Richmond County Genealogy Links
The following links to Genealogy Resources associated to Richmond County. These links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Richmond County genealogy or family history related sites.
Facts for Richmond Co. GA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Facts for Richmond Co. GA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Facts for Richmond Co. GA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Facts for Richmond Co. GA Census Records
Facts for Richmond Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Facts for Richmond Co. GA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Facts for Richmond Co. GA General and History Websites
Facts for Richmond Co. GA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Facts for Richmond Co. GA Military Records