Lumpkin County, Georgia Facts
Lumpkin County was created on December 3, 1832 from Cherokee County, Habersham County, and Hall County. The county was named in honor of Wilson Lumpkin (1783 - 1870), the Governor of Georgia and a U.S. Senator.
The Lumpkin County Seat is located in Dahlonega and in the current county government website is www.lumpkincounty.gov/.
Counties adjacent to Lumpkin County are Union County (north), White County (
east), Hall County, Dawson County (west), Fannin County (northwest)
Lumpkin County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your Family Tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lumpkin County Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Lumpkin County Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lumpkin County Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lumpkin County Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Lumpkin County Archives, Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lumpkin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Lumpkin County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the importance of Lumpkin County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of genealogy and family history.
The chances are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive record of at least some aspects of their lives in the Lumpkin County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Many employees will guide men and women in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the person to do the basic research.
The following county facts denotes the earliest date and what birth, marriage, death, land, wills, and legal records will be in Lumpkin County.
- Lumpkin County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Lumpkin County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, , child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county.
- Phone: 706-864-3736
- Land Records: 1833
- Court Records: 1833
- Lumpkin County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Phone: 706-864-3847
- Marriage Records: 1833
- Probate Records: 1833
- Lumpkin County Tax Commissioner
- Georgia Department of Health has copies for copies of birth and death records since Jan 1919, copies of marriage since June 9, 1952 to 1996 and a Divorce records index since June 9, 1952. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Georgia for current fees and application process.
Lumpkin County Genealogy Links
The following links to Genealogy Resources associated to Lumpkin County. These links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Lumpkin County genealogy or family history related sites.
Facts for Lumpkin Co. GA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Facts for Lumpkin Co. GA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Facts for Lumpkin Co. GA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Facts for Lumpkin Co. GA Census Records
Facts for Lumpkin Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Facts for Lumpkin Co. GA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Facts for Lumpkin Co. GA General and History Websites
Facts for Lumpkin Co. GA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Facts for Lumpkin Co. GA Military Records