Laurens County, Georgia Facts
Laurens County was created on December 10, 1807 from Wilkinson County (portions of Laurens County was used to create Pulaski County (1808). Portions were used to create Johnson County (1858) )
The county was named in honor of Colonel John Laurens (1754 - 82), an aide to George Washington during the Revolutionary War.
The Laurens County Seat is located in Dublin and in the current county government website is www.laurenscoga.org/.
Counties adjacent to Laurens County are Johnson County (norteast), Emanuel County (norteast), Treutlen County (
east), Wheeler County (south), Dodge County (southwest), Bleckley County (west), Wilkinson County (northwest), Twiggs County (northwest)
Laurens County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your Family Tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Laurens County Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Laurens County Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Laurens County Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Laurens County Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Laurens County Archives, Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Laurens County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Georgia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Laurens County Historical Society, 311 Academy Avenue; Dublin, GA 31040-1461; (478) 272-9242.
- Central Georgia Genealogial Society, Post Office Box 2024, Warner Robins, GA 31099
- Wiregrass Genealogical Society, 45 25th Ave., Eastman, GA 31023
- Laurens County, Georgia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Laurens County
- Laurens County, Georgia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Laurens County
Laurens County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the importance of Laurens County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of genealogy and family history.
The chances are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive record of at least some aspects of their lives in the Laurens County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Many employees will guide men and women in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the person to do the basic research.
The following county facts denotes the earliest date and what birth, marriage, death, land, wills, and legal records will be in Laurens County.
- Laurens County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Laurens County Clerk of Courts has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, , child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county.
- Phone: (478) 272-3210
- Land Records: 1807
- Court Records: 1808
- Laurens County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Phone: (478) 272-2566
- Marriage Records: 1809
- Probate Records: 1808
- Laurens County Tax Assessors
- Georgia Department of Health has copies for copies of birth and death records since Jan 1919, copies of marriage since June 9, 1952 to 1996 and a Divorce records index since June 9, 1952. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Georgia for current fees and application process.
Laurens County Genealogy Links
The following links to Genealogy Resources associated to Laurens County. These links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Laurens County genealogy or family history related sites.
Facts for Laurens Co. GA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Facts for Laurens Co. GA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Facts for Laurens Co. GA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Facts for Laurens Co. GA Census Records
Facts for Laurens Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Facts for Laurens Co. GA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Facts for Laurens Co. GA General and History Websites
Facts for Laurens Co. GA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Facts for Laurens Co. GA Military Records