Harris County, Georgia Facts
Harris County was created on December 14, 1827 from Muscogee County and Troup County. The county was named in honor of Charles Harris (1772 - 1827), a prominent attorney from Savannah.
The Harris County Seat is located in Hamilton and in the current county government website is harriscountyga.gov/.
Counties adjacent to Harris County are Troup County (north), Meriwether County (northeast), Talbot County (east), Muscogee County (south), Lee County, AL (southwest), Chambers County, AL
Harris County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your Family Tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Harris County Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Harris County Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Harris County Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Harris County Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Harris County Archives, Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Harris County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Harris County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the importance of Harris County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of genealogy and family history.
The chances are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive record of at least some aspects of their lives in the Harris County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Many employees will guide men and women in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the person to do the basic research.
The following county facts denotes the earliest date and what birth, marriage, death, land, wills, and legal records will be in Harris County.
- Harris County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Harris County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, , child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county.
- Phone: 706-628-5570
- Land Records: 1828
- Court Records: 1828
- Harris County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Phone: 706-628-5038
- Marriage Records: 1828
- Probate Records: 1828
- Harris County Tax Assessors
- Georgia Department of Health has copies for copies of birth and death records since Jan 1919, copies of marriage since June 9, 1952 to 1996 and a Divorce records index since June 9, 1952. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Georgia for current fees and application process.
Harris County Genealogy Links
The following links to Genealogy Resources associated to Harris County. These links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Harris County genealogy or family history related sites.
Facts for Harris Co. GA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Facts for Harris Co. GA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Facts for Harris Co. GA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Facts for Harris Co. GA Census Records
Facts for Harris Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Facts for Harris Co. GA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Facts for Harris Co. GA General and History Websites
Facts for Harris Co. GA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Facts for Harris Co. GA Military Records