Cook County, Georgia Facts
Cook County was created on July 30, 1918 from Berrien County. The county was named in honor of General Philip Cook (1817 - 94), Confederate general and secretary of state.
The Cook County Seat is located in Adel and in the current county government website is www.cookcountyga.us/.
Counties adjacent to Cook County are Tift County (north), Berrien County (east), Lowndes County (southwest), Brooks County (southwest), Colquitt County (west).
Cook County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your Family Tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1920, 1930, 1940.
You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Cook County Archives, Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Cook County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Cook County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the importance of Cook County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of genealogy and family history.
The chances are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive record of at least some aspects of their lives in the Cook County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Many employees will guide men and women in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the person to do the basic research.
The following county facts denotes the earliest date and what birth, marriage, death, land, wills, and legal records will be in Cook County.
- Cook County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Cook County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, , child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county.
- Address: 212 N. Hutchinson Ave, Adel, GA 31620
- Phone: (229) 896-7717
- Land Records: 1919
- Court Records: 1919
- Cook County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Phone: 229-896-3941
- Marriage Records: 1919
- Probate Records: 1919
- Georgia Department of Health has copies for copies of birth and death records since Jan 1919, copies of marriage since June 9, 1952 to 1996 and a Divorce records index since June 9, 1952. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Georgia for current fees and application process.
Cook County Genealogy Links
The following links to Genealogy Resources associated to Cook County. These links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Cook County genealogy or family history related sites.
Facts for Cook Co. GA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Facts for Cook Co. GA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Facts for Cook Co. GA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Facts for Cook Co. GA Census Records
Facts for Cook Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Facts for Cook Co. GA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Facts for Cook Co. GA General and History Websites
Facts for Cook Co. GA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Facts for Cook Co. GA Military Records