Burke County, Georgia Facts
Burke County was created on February 5, 1777 as one of seven original parishes (Originally organized as St George Parish. Burke County lost land to Screven County (1793), Jefferson County (1796), and Jenkins County (1905), added area to Richmond County (1841). ).
The county was named in honor of Edmund Burke (1729 - 97), British political philosopher and Member of Parliament who was sympathetic to the cause of US independence.
The Burke County Seat is located in Waynesboro and in the current county government website is www.burkecounty-ga.gov/
Counties adjacent to Burke County are Richmond County (north), Aiken County, SC (northeast), Barnwell County, SC (east-northeast), Allendale County, SC (east), Screven County, Jenkins County (south), Emanuel County (southwest), Jefferson County (west)
Burke County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your Family Tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790 (missing), 1800 (missing), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Burke County Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Burke County Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Burke County Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Burke County Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Burke County Archives, Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Burke County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Georgia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Burke County Archives Building
- Burke County Genealogical Society, 403 Old Herndon Road , PO Box 1522 ; Waynesboro , GA 30830-2522 ; 706-554-2138. Meetings: The 2nd Monday of each month at 7:00 pm at the Waynesboro/Burke County Library.
- Burke CountyHistorical Society, 536 S Liberty St ; Waynesboro , GA 30830-1557 ; Robert Hammond; (706) 554-4889. Meetings: The1st Mondaybi-monthly at 5:00 pm at Mobley's Restaurant, Waynesboro, Georgia
- Burke County Museum, 536 Liberty Street, Waynesboro, GA 30830; ph: (706) 554-4889, Has Exhibits, guided tours, tour of homes, educational activities, and preservation of historic building. Types of Collections: Photographs and newspapers; mid-19th century home, furniture, tools, and equipment, Civil War weapons, archaeological objects, and American Indian artifacts.Extensive genealogical data is available regarding Burke County Georgia families. Founded in 1970. Curator is Robert L. Hammond. Hours: M-F 8 -4, Weekends and Holidays by appointment.
- Burke County, Georgia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Burke County
- Burke County, Georgia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Burke County
Burke County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the importance of Burke County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of genealogy and family history.
The chances are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive record of at least some aspects of their lives in the Burke County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Many employees will guide men and women in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the person to do the basic research.
The following county facts denotes the earliest date and what birth, marriage, death, land, wills, and legal records will be in Burke County.
- Burke County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Burke County Clerk of Superior Court has jurisdiction over cases for title to land and equity, felony cases, adoptions, divorces, , child support and custody enforcement. The clerk also is tasked with recording deeds and maintaining the chain of title to all property in the county.
- Phone: 706-554-2279
- Land Records: 1843
- Court Records: 1856
- Burke County Clerk of Probate Court responsibilities include legal proceedings forh Wills, Estates, Guardianships of minor children, Involuntary Committals Hearings, Issuance of Marriage License, ect.. The county probate judge's office is the office where the most valuable genealogical records are created and maintained in the state of Georgia.
- Phone: 706-554-3000
- Marriage Records: 1855
- Probate Records: 1856
- Georgia Department of Health has copies for copies of birth and death records since Jan 1919, copies of marriage since June 9, 1952 to 1996 and a Divorce records index since June 9, 1952. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Georgia for current fees and application process.
Burke County Genealogy Links
The following links to Genealogy Resources associated to Burke County. These links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Burke County genealogy or family history related sites.
Facts for Burke Co. GA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Facts for Burke Co. GA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Facts for Burke Co. GA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Facts for Burke Co. GA Census Records
Facts for Burke Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Facts for Burke Co. GA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Facts for Burke Co. GA General and History Websites
Facts for Burke Co. GA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Facts for Burke Co. GA Military Records