Wakulla County, Florida Facts
Wakulla County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Wakulla Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Wakulla County Facts
- Government Website: www.mywakulla.com/
- Created Date / Origin: March 11, 1843 from Leon County
- County Seat: Crawfordville
- Named After: The Wakulla River, itself named for a Spanish corruption of a Timucuan word used to describe the body of water, but that is of uncertain meaning
- Bordering Counties: Franklin County (southwest), Jefferson County (northeast), Liberty County (west), Leon County (north)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Sopchoppy, St. Marks
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- Ponce de Leon attempted a settlement here in 1521 and was mortally, wounded by an Indian arrow.
- Narvaez built rude ships here in which his followers fled from Florida in 1528.
- In 1678 a fort was constructed at St. Marks to. guard shipping intended for St. Augustine. Spanish missions had been established earlier in the seventeenth century.
- St. Marks was captured in 1818 by Andrew Jackson's army when he invaded Florida to punish Indians for raids into Georgia. He executed two British agents at this Spanish fort on a charge of inciting Indians to raid U. S. territory.
- St. Marks became a great cotton shipping port before the Civil War and later Newport also became a noted port.
- The trade of both places fell to nothing after railroads were built connecting with the North.
- Wakulla Springs, one of Florida's greatest natural wonders, is the source of the Wakulla River.
Wakulla County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Wakulla County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Wakulla County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Wakulla County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Wakulla County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The below facts shows what death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records are usually in Wakulla County. The dates stated listed below are considered the first noted records in this county. Record Loss (Marriage & Probate)
- Wakulla County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 3056 Crawfordville Highway, Crawfordville, FL 32327
- Wakulla County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (850) 926-0905
- Marriage Records: 1892
- Land Records: 1843
- Probate Records: 1892
- Court Records: 1843
- Wakulla County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Wakulla County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Wakulla County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Wakulla County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Wakulla Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Wakulla Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Wakulla Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Wakulla Co. FL Census Records
Wakulla Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Wakulla Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Wakulla Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Wakulla Co. FL General and History Websites
Wakulla Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Wakulla Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Wakulla Co. FL Military Records
- Florida Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Florida women and men which served. Suitable for Wakulla County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Wakulla Co. FL Schools & Directories