Taylor County, Florida Facts
Taylor County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Taylor Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Taylor County Facts
- Government Website: www.taylorcountygov.com/
- Created Date / Origin: ? from Madison County
- County Seat: Perry
- Named After: Zachary Taylor (1784–1850), 12th President of the United States
- Bordering Counties: Jefferson County (northwest), Madison County (north), Lafayette County (east), Dixie County (southeast)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Perry
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- This county was named for the twelfth president of the United States, who had commanded troops in this region during the Seminole wars.
- Early Spanish missions were located within the county.
- April 12, 1818, a battle was fought between forces of General Andrew Jackson and Seminole Indians at Natural Bridge on Econfina.
- In March, 1864, Major Chas. H. Camfield was sent with a Confederate force into Taylor County to capture deserters who had assembled from a number of places to find hideouts in the swamps.
- Considerable supplies were captured and a number of deserters' houses burned.
Taylor County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Taylor County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Taylor County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Taylor County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Taylor County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Taylor county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Taylor County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Box 620, Perry, FL 32348 or 108 N. Jefferson Street, Perry, FL 32347
- Taylor County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (850) 838-3506
- Marriage Records: 1857
- Land Records: 1857
- Probate Records: 1870
- Court Records: 1857
- Taylor County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Taylor County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Taylor County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Taylor County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Taylor Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Taylor Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Taylor Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Taylor Co. FL Census Records
Taylor Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Taylor Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Taylor Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Taylor Co. FL General and History Websites
Taylor Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Taylor Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Taylor Co. FL Military Records
- Florida Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Florida women and men which served. Suitable for Taylor County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Taylor Co. FL Schools & Directories