Santa Rosa County, Florida Facts
Santa Rosa County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Santa Rosa Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Santa Rosa County Facts
- Government Website: www.santarosa.fl.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: February 18, 1842 from Escambia County
- County Seat: Milton
- Named After: Santa Rosa Island, which is in turn named for Saint Rosa de Viterbo (1235–1252), a saint born in Viterbo,Italy
- Bordering Counties: Escambia County, AL (north), Okaloosa County (east), Escambia County (west)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Gulf Breeze, Jay, Milton
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- There were some Spanish settlers here before the American occupation.
- Here was established Florida's first cotton factory, near Milton in 1846.
- Spanish overland expedition consisting of Governor Laureano de Torres Y Avala, seeking for Pensacola Bay, passed through here in the Summer of 1693.
Santa Rosa County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Santa Rosa County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Santa Rosa County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Santa Rosa County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Santa Rosa County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Santa Rosa county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Record Loss (Marriage & Probate)
- Santa Rosa County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Box 472, Milton, FL 32572 or 6495 Caroline St., Suite A, Milton, FL 32570
- Santa Rosa County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (850) 983-1973
- Marriage Records: 1869
- Land Records: 1869
- Probate Records: 1878
- Court Records: 1869
- Santa Rosa County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Santa Rosa County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Santa Rosa County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Santa Rosa County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Santa Rosa Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Santa Rosa Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Santa Rosa Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Santa Rosa Co. FL Census Records
Santa Rosa Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Santa Rosa Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Santa Rosa Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Santa Rosa Co. FL General and History Websites
Santa Rosa Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Santa Rosa Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Santa Rosa Co. FL Military Records
- Florida Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Florida women and men which served. Suitable for Santa Rosa County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Santa Rosa Co. FL Schools & Directories