Pinellas County, Florida Facts
Pinellas County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Pinellas Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Pinellas County Facts
- Government Website: www.pinellascounty.org/
- Created Date / Origin: May 23, 1911 from Hillsborough County
- County Seat: Clearwater
- Named After: From the Spanish Punta Piñal, or "Point of Pines"
- Bordering Counties: Pasco County (north), Hillsborough County (east and south)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Belleair, Belleair Beach, Belleair Bluffs, Belleair Shore, Clearwater, Dunedin, Gulfport, Indian Rocks Beach, Indian Shores, Kenneth City, Largo, Madeira Beach, North Redington Beach, Oldsmar, Pinellas Park, Redington Beach, Redington Shores, Safety Harbor, Seminole, South Pasadena, St. Pete Beach, St. Petersburg, Tarpon Springs, Treasure Island
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- This region was visited by early Spanish explorers but had no white settlements until after the Seminole Wars. Once begun, the steady stream of immigrants increased until the present century when it leaped 1200 percent in forty years.
- Tarpon Springs is the center of Florida's great sponge fishing industry, and St. Petersburg is the greatest west-coast tourist city in the state.
- Pamphilo de Narvaez at the head of 300 Spaniard landed in vicinity of St. Petersburg in April, 1528.
Pinellas County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Pinellas County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Pinellas County Historical Society, 11909 125th Street North, Largo, FL 34615
- Pinellas Genealogical Society, C/o Largo Public Library, 351 East Bay Drive, P. O. Box 1614, Largo, FL 33779-1614
- Clearwater Historical Society, P. O. Box 175, Clearwater, FL 34617
- Dunedin Historical Society, 349 Main St., P. O. Box 2393, Dunedin, FL 34697-2393; 813-736-1176 and 813-529-3307
- Gulfport Historical Society, 5301 29th Avenue South, Gulfport, FL 33707
- Largo Area Historical Society, 805 S. Palm Dr., Largo, FL 33541
- St. Petersburg Historical Society, 334 Second Ave. NE, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
- Tarpon Springs Area Historical Society, 160 E. Tarpon Ave., Tarpon Springs, FL 34689
- Pinellas County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Pinellas County
- Pinellas County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Pinellas County
- USGenWeb Archives for Pinellas County (usgwarchives.net)
- See Also Florida Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Pinellas County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Pinellas County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Pinellas County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Pinellas county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Pinellas County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 315 Court Street, Room 400, Clearwater, FL 33756
- Pinellas County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (727) 464-3341
- Marriage Records: 1912
- Land Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1911
- Court Records: 1911
- Pinellas County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Pinellas County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Pinellas County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Pinellas County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Pinellas Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Pinellas Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Pinellas Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Pinellas Co. FL Census Records
Pinellas Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Pinellas Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Pinellas Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Pinellas Co. FL General and History Websites
Pinellas Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Pinellas Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Pinellas Co. FL Military Records
- Florida Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Florida women and men which served. Suitable for Pinellas County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Pinellas Co. FL Schools & Directories