Nassau County, Florida Facts
Nassau County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Nassau Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Nassau County Facts
- Government Website: http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/fefdl/counties/nassau.html
- Created Date / Origin: December 29, 1824 from Duval County
- County Seat: Fernandina Beach
- Named After: Duchy of Nassau in Germany
- Bordering Counties: Camden County, GA (north), Duval County (south), Baker County (southwest), Charlton County, GA (west)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Callahan, Fernandina Beach, Hilliard
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- Fernandina, the county seat, has a fine-harbor and is the site of large paper mills.
- It has a most interesting history, for over it have flown the flags of Spain, France, England, Mexico, Venezuela, the Confederacy and the United States. Nearby is historic Fort Clinch.
- Spanish made short lived settlements on Amelia Island prior to 1600.
- Gregor McGregor and other filibusterers took Amelia Island in 1817. Luis Aury, who succeeded McGregor, forced to surrender to American forces December, 1817.
Nassau County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Nassau County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Nassau County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Nassau County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Nassau County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Nassau county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Nassau County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 76347 Veterans Way, Suite 456, Yulee, FL 32097
- Nassau County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (904) 548-4600
- Marriage Records: 1867
- Land Records: 1840
- Probate Records: 1873
- Court Records: 1873
- Nassau County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Nassau County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Nassau County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Nassau County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Nassau Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Nassau Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Nassau Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Nassau Co. FL Census Records
Nassau Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Nassau Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Nassau Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Nassau Co. FL General and History Websites
Nassau Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Nassau Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Nassau Co. FL Military Records
- Florida Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Florida women and men which served. Suitable for Nassau County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Nassau Co. FL Schools & Directories