Miami-Dade County, Florida Facts
Miami-Dade County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Miami-Dade Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Miami-Dade County Facts
- Government Website: miamidade.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: January 18, 1836 from Monroe County (originally named Dade County, renamed November 13, 1997)
- County Seat: Miami
- Named After: City of Miami and Francis L. Dade (c. 1793–1835), Major in the United States Army during the Second Seminole War
- Bordering Counties: Broward County (north), Collier County (northwest), Monroe County (southwest)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Aventura, Coral Gables, Doral, Florida City, Hialeah, Hialeah Gardens, Homestead, Islandia, Miami, Miami Beach, Miami Gardens, Miami Springs, North Bay Village, North Miami, North Miami Beach, Opa-locka, South Miami, Sunny Isles Beach, Sweetwater, West Miami Bay Harbor Islands, Cutler Bay, Golden Beach, Medley, Miami Lakes, Surfside. Villages Include Bal Harbour, Biscayne Park, El Portal, Indian Creek, Key Biscayne, Miami Shores, Palmetto Bay, Pinecrest, Virginia Gardens
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- T his section was visited by the Spanish in the sixteenth century but the first white settlement was about 1808.
- These settlers were molested by Indians during the Seminole War and had to take refuge in Ft. Dallas, whose site is now in down-town Miami.
- During the past half century the Population: of this section has grown tremendously.
- Indian Massacre of white settlers of Indian Key, August 7, 1840.
- First passenger train ran into Miami, April 15, 1896.
Miami-Dade County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Miami-Dade County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Black Archives History and Research Foundation of South Florida, 5400 NW 22nd Ave., Miami, FL 33142
- Dade Heritage Trust, 190 SE 12th Terrace, Miami, FL 33131
- Historical Association of Southern Florida, 101 W. Flagler St., Miami, FL 33130
- Genealogical Society of Greater Miami, P. O. Box 162905, Miami, FL 33116-2905
- Jewish Genealogical Society of Miami, 8405 SW 107th Ave. 313, Miami, FL 33173
- Coral Gables Historical Preservation Division, City Hall, 405 Biltmore Way, Coral Gables, FL 33134; 305-460-5361
- Miami Springs Historical Society, P. O. Box 660022, Miami Springs, FL 33166
- Miami-Dade County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Miami-Dade County
- Miami-Dade County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Miami-Dade County
- USGenWeb Archives for Miami-Dade County (usgwarchives.net)
- See Also Florida Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Miami-Dade County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Miami-Dade County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Miami-Dade County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Miami-Dade county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Miami-Dade County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 73 West Flagler Street, Suite 242, Miami, FL 33130
- Miami-Dade County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (305) 349-7333
- Marriage Records: 1840
- Land Records: 1890
- Probate Records: ?
- Court Records: 1888
- Miami-Dade County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Miami-Dade County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Miami-Dade County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Miami-Dade County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Miami-Dade Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Miami-Dade Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Miami-Dade Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Miami-Dade Co. FL Census Records
Miami-Dade Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Miami-Dade Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Miami-Dade Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Miami-Dade Co. FL General and History Websites
Miami-Dade Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Miami-Dade Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Miami-Dade Co. FL Military Records
- Florida Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Florida women and men which served. Suitable for Miami-Dade County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Miami-Dade Co. FL Schools & Directories