Martin County, Florida Facts
Martin County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Martin Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Martin County Facts
- Government Website: www.martin.fl.us
- Created Date / Origin: May 30, 1925 from Palm
Beach County and St.
- County Seat: Stuart
- Named After: John W. Martin (1884–1958), governor of Florida at time of creation of the county
- Bordering Counties: St. Lucie County (north), Palm Beach County (south), Hendry County (southwest), Glades County (southwest), Okeechobee County (northwest)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Jupiter Island, Ocean Breeze Park, Sewall's Point, Stuart
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- The region was not permanently settled until after the Civil War.
- The waters of this section afford fishing of world renown.
- Jonathen Dickenson and his party passed through this section September, 1696.
Martin County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Martin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Martin County Historical Society of , 825 NE Ocean Blvd., Hutchinson Island, Stuart, FL 34996-1696; 407-225-1961
- Martin County Genealogical Society, 1395 NE Waveland, Jensen Beach, FL 33457
- Martin County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Martin County
- Martin County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Martin County
- USGenWeb Archives for Martin County (usgwarchives.net)
- See Also Florida Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Martin County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Martin County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Martin County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Martin county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Martin County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Drawer 9016, Stuart, FL 34995 or 100 E. Ocean Blvd., Stuart, FL 34994
- Martin County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (772) 288-5736
- Marriage Records: 1925
- Land Records: 1925
- Probate Records: 1925
- Court Records: 1925
- Martin County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Martin County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Martin County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Martin County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Martin Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Martin Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Martin Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Martin Co. FL Census Records
Martin Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Martin Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Martin Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Martin Co. FL General and History Websites
Martin Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Martin Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Martin Co. FL Military Records
- Florida Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Florida women and men which served. Suitable for Martin County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Martin Co. FL Schools & Directories