Jackson County, Florida Facts
Jackson County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Jackson Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Jackson County Facts
- Government Website: www.jacksoncountyfl.net/
- Created Date / Origin: August 12, 1822 from Escambia County
- County Seat: Marianna
- Named After: Andrew Jackson (1767–1845), the seventh President of the United States
- Bordering Counties: Seminole County, GA (east), Gadsden County (southeast), Liberty County (southeast), Calhoun County (south), Washington County (southwest), Bay County (southwest), Holmes County (west), Geneva County, AL (northwest), Houston County, AL (northwest)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include:Graceville, Jacob City, Marianna, Alford, Bascom, Campbellton, Cottondale, Grand Ridge, Greenwood, Malone, Sneads
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- Had experienced bloody war between Indians and Andrew Jackson's forces.
- Massacre by Seminole Indians of Lieut. Scott's command, December 6, 1817.
- Battle of Marianna fought September 27, 1864.
- The worst horrors of reconstruction in Florida occurred in this county, many carpet baggers and their negro followers being killed, whipped or driven out as a result of their radical methods and murders committed by them.
- Near Marianna are the famous Caverns.
Jackson County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Jackson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Jackson County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Jackson County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Jackson County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The below facts shows what death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records are usually in Jackson County. The dates stated listed below are considered the first noted records in this county. Courthouse was destroyed by fire on November 30, 1848. All records were destroyed
- Jackson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Drawer 510, Marianna, FL 32447 or 4445 Lafayette Street, Marianna, FL 32446
- Jackson County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (850) 482-9552
- Marriage Records: 1848
- Land Records: 1848
- Probate Records: 1848
- Court Records: 1848
- Jackson County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Jackson County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Jackson County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Jackson County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Jackson Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jackson Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Jackson Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Jackson Co. FL Census Records
Jackson Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Jackson Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Jackson Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jackson Co. FL General and History Websites
Jackson Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Jackson Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jackson Co. FL Military Records
- Florida Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Florida women and men which served. Suitable for Jackson County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Jackson Co. FL Schools & Directories