Hamilton County, Florida Facts
Hamilton County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Hamilton Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Hamilton County Facts
- Government Website: www.hamiltoncountyflorida.com/
- Created Date / Origin: December 26, 1827 from Jefferson County
- County Seat: Jasper
- Named After: Alexander Hamilton (1757–1804), the first United States Secretary of the Treasury and a Founding Father
- Bordering Counties: Echols County, GA (north), Columbia County (east), Suwannee County (south), Madison County (west), Lowndes County, GA (northwest)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Jasper, Jennings, White Springs
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- The country was thickly settled by Indians when white men first came in but there was little fighting here during the Seminole War or the Civil War.
- The Stephen Foster Memorial is located on the banks of the Suwannee River in this county.
- Jasper founded 1830.
- The Times, the county's first newspaper, founded in 1879.
Hamilton County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Hamilton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Hamilton County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Hamilton County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Hamilton County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The below facts shows what death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records are usually in Hamilton County. The dates stated listed below are considered the first noted records in this county. Courthouse may have been destroyed by a tornado prior to 1836. Courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1929 and rebuilt in 1932.
- Hamilton County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 207 N.E. 1st Street, Room 106, Jasper, FL 32052
- Hamilton County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (386) 792-1288
- Marriage Records: 1824
- Land Records: 1836
- Probate Records: 1830
- Court Records: 1881
- Hamilton County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Hamilton County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Hamilton County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Hamilton County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Hamilton Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hamilton Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Hamilton Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hamilton Co. FL Census Records
Hamilton Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Hamilton Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Hamilton Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hamilton Co. FL General and History Websites
Hamilton Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Hamilton Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hamilton Co. FL Military Records
- Florida Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Florida women and men which served. Suitable for Hamilton County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Hamilton Co. FL Schools & Directories