Gulf County, Florida Facts
Gulf County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Gulf Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Gulf County Facts
- Government Website: www.gulfcounty-fl.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: June 6, 1925 from Calhoun County
- County Seat: Port St. Joe
- Named After: The Gulf of Mexico
- Bordering Counties: Calhoun County (north), Liberty County (northeast), Franklin County (east), Bay County (west)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Port St. Joe, Wewahitchka
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- It was the location of the early boom town of St. Joseph and in it was built the first railroad in Florida. This town vanished but near its site is modern Port St. Joe, a thriving city with a large paper mill.
French built fort on St. Joseph's Bay and called it Crevecover (broken heart) in 1718. It was soon given up to the Spaniards who later abandoned it.
- St. Joseph founded in 1835 was wiped out in 1841 by a yellow fever epidemic and a hurricane that followed.
- December 3, 1838-January 11, 1839 a convention assembling at St. Joseph formed Florida's first constitution.
Gulf County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Gulf County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Gulf County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Gulf County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Gulf County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Gulf county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Gulf County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1000 Cecil G. Costin, Sr. Blvd., Rm. 148, Port St. Joe, FL 32456
- Gulf County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (850) 229-6112
- Marriage Records: 1925
- Land Records: 1925
- Probate Records: 1925
- Court Records: 1925
- Gulf County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Gulf County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Gulf County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Gulf County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Gulf Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Gulf Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Gulf Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Gulf Co. FL Census Records
Gulf Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Gulf Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Gulf Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Gulf Co. FL General and History Websites
Gulf Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Gulf Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Gulf Co. FL Military Records
- Florida Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Florida women and men which served. Suitable for Gulf County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Gulf Co. FL Schools & Directories