Gadsden County, Florida Facts
Gadsden County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Gadsden Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Gadsden County Facts
- Government Website: www.gadsdengov.net/
- Created Date / Origin: June 24, 1823 from Jackson County
- County Seat: Quincy
- Named After: James Gadsden (1788–1858), American diplomat and namesake of the Gadsden Purchase
- Bordering Counties: Decatur County, GA (north), Seminole County, GA (north), Grady County, GA (northeast), Leon County (east), Liberty County (southwest), Calhoun County (southwest), Jackson County (northwest)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Chattahoochee, Gretna, Midway, Quincy, Greensboro, Havana
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- This county originally included all land between the Suwannee and Apalachicola Rivers, besides much land west of the Apalachicola.
- The largest Fuller's Earth mine in the world is in this county.
- Spaniards erect fort of Santa Cruz de Sabacola on or near present site of Chattahoochee about 1690. This place had a very brief existence.
- Tobacco production began in 1830.
- U. S. arsenal now one of Florida State Hospital buildings completed in 1838.
Gadsden County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Gadsden County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Gadsden County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Gadsden County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Gadsden County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The below facts shows what death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records are usually in Gadsden County. The dates stated listed below are considered the first noted records in this county. Courthouse burned in 1849, supposedly an act of arson by a Forbes family slave.
- Gadsden County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Box 1649, Quincy, FL 32353-1649 or 10 East Jefferson Street, Quincy, FL 32351-2406
- Gadsden County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (850) 875-8601 ext. 224
- Marriage Records: 1849
- Land Records: 1849
- Probate Records: 1837
- Court Records: ?
- Gadsden County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Gadsden County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Gadsden County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Gadsden County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Gadsden Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Gadsden Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Gadsden Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Gadsden Co. FL Census Records
Gadsden Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Gadsden Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Gadsden Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Gadsden Co. FL General and History Websites
Gadsden Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Gadsden Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Gadsden Co. FL Military Records
- Florida Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Florida women and men which served. Suitable for Gadsden County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Gadsden Co. FL Schools & Directories