Duval County, Florida Facts
Duval County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Duval Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Duval County Facts
- Government Website: www.coj.net/
- Created Date / Origin: August 12, 1822 from Saint
- County Seat: Jacksonville
- Named After: William Pope Duval (1784–1854), the first governor of the Florida Territory
- Bordering Counties: Nassau County (north), St. Johns County (southeast), Clay County (southwest), Baker County (west)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Atlantic Beach, Baldwin, Jacksonville, Jacksonville Beach, Neptune Beach
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- This county included the site of one of the first white settlements in what is now the United States.
- French Huguenots founded a village and fort on the St. Johns River in 1564.
- A year later Spanish from St. Augustine destroyed the settlement, killing most of the people. They occupied the fort and were, in turn, destroyed by a French expedition in 1567.
- Another fort, San Mateo was built by the Spanish and missions set up along the St. Johns River.
- During the English occupation of Florida this section prospered. Duval County territory was part of the American "Republic of Florida" estab-lished in 1812.
- After the United States bought Florida, Jacksonville, now the largest city in the State, was established at "Cow Ford", where King's Road crossed the St. Johns River. The settlement suffered from Civil War, yellow fever and destruction
by fire but it came out stronger and better after each period of destruction.
- First store within present city of Jacksonville opened in 1818 on the south side of present Adams Street by William G. Dawson and John R. Buckles.
Duval County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Duval County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jacksonville Historical Society, 100-B Wharfside Way, Jacksonville, FL 32207; 904-396-6307
- Jacksonville Historic Landmarks Commission, 128 E. Forsyth St., Jacksonville, FL 32202; 904-630-1904
- Jacksonville Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 43010, Jacksonville, FL 32203
- Beaches Area Historical Society, P. O. Box 50646, Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250
- Riverside-Avondale Preservation, Inc., 2624 Riverside Ave., Jacksonville, FL 32204
- Southern Genealogist's Exchange Society, PO Box 2801, Jacksonville, FL 32203-2801
- Duval County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Duval County
- Duval County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Duval County
- USGenWeb Archives for Duval County (usgwarchives.net)
- See Also Florida Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Duval County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Duval County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Duval County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The below facts shows what death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records are usually in Duval County. The dates stated listed below are considered the first noted records in this county. Courthouse was burned during the Civil War, burned in 1901. Extent of reocrd loss unknown.
- Duval County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 330 East Bay Street, Jacksonville, FL 32202-2919
- Duval County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (904) 630-2039
- Marriage Records: 1822
- Land Records: 1901
- Probate Records: 1905
- Court Records: 1901
- Duval County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Duval County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Duval County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Duval County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Duval Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Duval Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Duval Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Duval Co. FL Census Records
Duval Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Duval Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Duval Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Duval Co. FL General and History Websites
Duval Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Duval Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Duval Co. FL Military Records
- Florida Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Florida women and men which served. Suitable for Duval County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Duval Co. FL Schools & Directories