Collier County, Florida Facts
Collier County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Collier Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Collier County Facts
- Government Website: www.colliergov.net/
- Created Date / Origin: May 8, 1923 from Lee County
- County Seat: Naples
- Named After: Barron Collier (1873–1939), an advertising entrepreneur who developed much of the land in southern Florida
- Bordering Counties: Hendry County (north), Broward County (east), Miami-Dade County (southeast), Monroe County (south), Lee County (northwest)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Everglades City, Marco Island, Naples
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- Visited by several early Spanish expeditions, it there lay virtually unknown to white men until Seminole War days. It had little development until the present century and has great possibilities.
Collier County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Collier County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Collier County Historical Society, 137 Twelfth Ave. South, Naples, FL 33940
- Collier County Genealogical Society of , P. O. Box 7933, Naples, FL 33941-7933
- Golden Gate-Naples Genealogical Society, 1689 Bonita Court, Naples, FL 33962
- Collier County Museum and Archives, 3301 E. Tamiami Trail, East Naples, FL 33942; 941-774-8476
- Collier County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Collier County
- Collier County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Collier County
- USGenWeb Archives for Collier County (usgwarchives.net)
- See Also Florida Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Collier County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Collier County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Collier County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Collier county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Collier County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Box 413044, Naples, FL 34101-3044 or 3315 Tamiami Trail East, Suite 102, Naples, FL 34112-5324
- Collier County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (239) 252-2646
- Marriage Records: 1923
- Land Records: 1923
- Probate Records: 1923
- Court Records: 1923
- Collier County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Collier County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Collier County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Collier County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Collier Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Collier Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Collier Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Collier Co. FL Census Records
Collier Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Collier Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Collier Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Collier Co. FL General and History Websites
Collier Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Collier Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Collier Co. FL Military Records
- Florida Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Florida women and men which served. Suitable for Collier County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Collier Co. FL Schools & Directories