Clay County, Florida Facts
Clay County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Clay Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Clay County Facts
- Government Website: www.claycountygov.com/
- Created Date / Origin: December 31, 1858 from Duval County
- County Seat: Green Cove Springs
- Named After: Henry Clay (1777–1852), Secretary of State from 1825 to 1829 under John Quincy Adams
- Bordering Counties: Duval County (north), St. Johns County (east), Putnam County (south), Bradford County (west), Baker County (northwest)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include:Green Cove Springs, Keystone Heights Orange Park, Penney Farms.
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- It shared the early history of these counties, and during the reconstruction era, suffered considerable hardships.
- Green Cove Springs is located at the county seat.
- Fleming's Island settled in 1790.
Clay County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Clay County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Clay County Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 1071, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043
- Clay County Historical Society , P.O. Box 1202 , 915 Walnut Street, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043; (904) 284-9644
- Clay County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Clay County
- Clay County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Clay County
- USGenWeb Archives for Clay County (usgwarchives.net)
- See Also Florida Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links
Clay County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Clay County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Clay County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The below facts shows what death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records are usually in Clay County. The dates stated listed below are considered the first noted records in this county. Court was held in McRae House which burned in 1872 and with it most of the county's judicial records.
- Clay County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Box 698, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043 or 825 North Orange Ave., Green Cove Springs, FL 32043
- Clay County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (904) 284-6317
- Marriage Records: 1872
- Land Records: 1871
- Probate Records: 1859
- Court Records: 1859
- Clay County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Clay County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Clay County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Clay County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Clay Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Clay Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Clay Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Clay Co. FL Census Records
Clay Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Clay Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Clay Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Clay Co. FL General and History Websites
Clay Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Clay Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Clay Co. FL Military Records
- Florida Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Florida women and men which served. Suitable for Clay County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Clay Co. FL Schools & Directories