Citrus County, Florida Facts
Citrus County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Citrus Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Citrus County Facts
- Government Website: www.bocc.citrus.fl.us/
- Created Date / Origin: June 2, 1887 from Hernando County
- County Seat: Inverness
- Named After: The county's citrus trees
- Bordering Counties: Levy County (northwest), Marion County (northeast), Sumter County (east), Hernando County (south)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include:Crystal River, Inverness
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- Narvaez and DeSoto crossed this country in 1528. The Seminole War involved considerable fighting here.
- Before the Civil War Florida's largest sugar cane plantation existed here.
- Gen. Duncan L. Clinch fought battle with Seminole Indians on the Citrus County side of the Withlacoochee River, Dec. 31, 1835.
Citrus County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Citrus County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Citrus County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Citrus County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Citrus County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Citrus county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Citrus County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 110 North Apopka Avenue, Inverness, FL 34450-4299
- Citrus County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (352) 341-6481
- Marriage Records: 1887
- Land Records: 1887
- Probate Records: 1887
- Court Records: 1887
- Citrus County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Citrus County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Citrus County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Citrus County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Citrus Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Citrus Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Citrus Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Citrus Co. FL Census Records
Citrus Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Citrus Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Citrus Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Citrus Co. FL General and History Websites
Citrus Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Citrus Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Citrus Co. FL Military Records
- Florida Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Florida women and men which served. Suitable for Citrus County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Citrus Co. FL Schools & Directories