Charlotte County, Florida Facts
Charlotte County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Charlotte Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Charlotte County Facts
- Government Website: www.charlottecountyfl.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: April 23, 1921 from DeSoto County
- County Seat: Punta Gorda
- Named After: Probably a corruption of the name of the Calusa, a group of Native Americans from the area
- Bordering Counties: Sarasota County (northwest), De Soto County (north), Highlands County (northeast corner), Glades County (east), Hendry County (southeast corner), Lee County (south)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include:Punta Gorda
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- Ponce de Leon visited Charlotte Harbor in 1513 and Menendez in 1566. Indian fighting occurred in this section as late as 1857.
- Pirates made use of Charlotte Harbor in early Colonial days and even after the American occupation of Florida.
Charlotte County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Charlotte County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Charlotte County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Charlotte County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Charlotte County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Charlotte county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Charlotte County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 350 East Marion Ave., Punta Gorda, FL 33950
- Charlotte County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (941) 505-4716
- Marriage Records: 1921
- Land Records: 1921
- Probate Records: 1921
- Court Records: 1921
- Charlotte County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Charlotte County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Charlotte County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Charlotte County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Charlotte Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Charlotte Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Charlotte Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Charlotte Co. FL Census Records
Charlotte Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Charlotte Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Charlotte Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Charlotte Co. FL General and History Websites
Charlotte Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Charlotte Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Charlotte Co. FL Military Records
- Florida Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Florida women and men which served. Suitable for Charlotte County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Charlotte Co. FL Schools & Directories