Calhoun County, Florida Facts
Calhoun County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Calhoun Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Calhoun County Facts
- Government Website: www.uflib.ufl.edu/fefdl/counties/calhoun.html
- Created Date / Origin: January 26, 1838 from Franklin County, Jackson County and Washington County
- County Seat: Blountstown
- Named After: John C. Calhoun (1782–1850) leading Southern politician from South Carolina
- Bordering Counties: Jackson County (north), Gadsden County (northeast), Liberty County (east), Gulf County (south), Bay County (west)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Blountstown, Altha
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- This county had the first steam railroad in Florida.
- It originally included what is now Gulf County, consequently it included the great boom town of the eighteen-thirties-St. Joseph. It contains the famous "Dead Lakes."
- In 1838 Indians were removed from reservations on the Apalachicola River.
- The name Blountstown honors one of the chiefs, John Blount, who possessed a reservation on the river.
Calhoun County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Calhoun County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Calhoun County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Calhoun County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Calhoun County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The below facts shows what death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records are usually in Calhoun County. The dates stated listed below are considered the first noted records in this county. Record Loss, unknown causes
- Calhoun County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 20859 Central Avenue E., Room 130, Blountstown, FL 32424
- Calhoun County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (850) 674-4545
- Marriage Records: 1862
- Land Records: 1862
- Probate Records: 1877
- Court Records: ?
- Calhoun County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Calhoun County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Calhoun County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Calhoun County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Calhoun Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Calhoun Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Calhoun Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Calhoun Co. FL Census Records
Calhoun Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Calhoun Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Calhoun Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Calhoun Co. FL General and History Websites
Calhoun Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Calhoun Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Calhoun Co. FL Military Records
- Florida Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Florida women and men which served. Suitable for Calhoun County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Calhoun Co. FL Schools & Directories