Baker County, Florida Facts
Baker County, Florida ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you find your Baker Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Baker County Facts
- Government Website: www.bakercountyfl.org/
- Created Date / Origin: February 8, 1861 from New River County
- County Seat: Macclenny
- Named After: James McNair Baker (1821–1892), a Confederate senator and later a judge in the fourth judicial district
- Bordering Counties: Charlton County, GA (north), Ware County, GA (north), Nassau County (northeast), Duval County (east), Clay County (southeast), Union County (south), Bradford County (south), Columbia County (west), Clinch County, GA (northwest)
- Incorporated Cities and Towns include: Macclenny Glen St. Mary
- Historical Events (published in 1944):
- The principal battle of the Civil War in Florida was fought in this county at Olustee, the Federal forces being defeated and the interior of Florida saved from invasion. A monument marks the battlefield.
Baker County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Baker County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Baker County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the importance of Baker County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of the many Florida residents.
The chances are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Baker County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to undertake the researching.
The below facts shows what death, marriage, birth, land, wills, and legal records are usually in Baker County. The dates stated listed below are considered the first noted records in this county. Courthouse, constructed in 1888, was lost to fire.
- Baker County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 339 E. Macclenny Avenue, Suite 113, Macclenny, FL 32063
- Baker County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (904) 259-8113
- Marriage Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1877
- Probate Records: 1877
- Court Records: 1880
- Baker County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Office of Vital Records has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
Baker County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Baker County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Baker County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Baker Co. FL Books, Newspapers & Publications
Baker Co. FL Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Baker Co. FL Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Baker Co. FL Census Records
Baker Co. FL Cemeteries & Graveyards
Baker Co. FL Church & Bible Records
Baker Co. FL Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Baker Co. FL General and History Websites
Baker Co. FL Immigration & Naturalization
Baker Co. FL Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Baker Co. FL Military Records
- Florida Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Florida women and men which served. Suitable for Baker County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Baker Co. FL Schools & Directories