Saguache County, Colorado Facts
Saguache County, Colorado family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you track your Saguache Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Saguache County was founded on December 29, 1866 from Lake County and Costilla County. The county was named after the Ute language word meaning "blue earth" or "water at blue earth".
The Saguache County Seat is situated in Saguache and the county government website is http://www.saguachecounty.net/
Places adjoining Saguache County happen to be Chaffee County (north), Fremont County (northeast), Custer County (east), Huerfano County, Rio Grande County (south), Alamosa County (south), Mineral County (southwest), Hinsdale County (southwest), Gunnison County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Saguache County include Bonanza, Center, Crestone, La Garita, Moffat, Saguache, Villa Grove, Sargeants
Saguache County includes Federal Census Schedules to guide in exploring your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are present for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Saguache Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Saguache Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1870 and 1880. Saguache Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free online and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Saguache County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Saguache County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Saguache County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Saguache County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Colorado courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Colorado citizens. The chances are great that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least several aspects of their lives in the Saguache County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's dept to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or seeking information because of from time to time changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide men and women in obtaining the materials, but it's up to the man or women to undertake the researching.
The below facts denotes what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and courtroom records are located in Saguache County. The years suggested below tend to be the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Saguache County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 501 Christy Ave, Saguache, CO 81149
- Phone: (719) 655-2512
- Saguache County Clerk & Recorder is responsible for recording deeds, marriage licenses, issuing passports, titling and registering automobiles, issuing driver's licenses, registering voters, administering elections and maintaining records for the Board of County Commissioners.
- Marriage Records: 1869
- Land Records: 1866?
- Saguache County Clerk of Courts
- Probate Records: 1866?
- Court Records: 1866?
- Saguache County Public Health Agency
- Birth / Death Records: 1894–1908 / 1872–1907
- Colorado Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Colorado for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Saguache County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Saguache County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Saguache County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Saguache Co. CO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Saguache Co. CO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificates in Colorado
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Colorado, County Marriages, 1864-1995 (familysearch.org)
- Colorado Divorce Records, Various Sources 1851 - 2004 (archives.com) Various Public Records Sources
- Colorado Marriage Records 1975 - 2004 (archives.com) Colorado State Public Record Offices
- Colorado, Statewide Divorce Index, 1900-1939 (familysearch.org) Colorado Department of Health card index of divorces in Colorado from 1900-1939. The index is arranged in alphabetical order.
- Colorado, Statewide Marriage Index, 1900-1939 (familysearch.org) Card index created by the Division of Vital Statistics, Department of Health in Colorado. The index is arranged alphabetically by groom's name providing county, names of husband and wife, age, race, date and place of marriage, certificate number.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Saguache Co. CO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Saguache Co. CO Census Records
Saguache Co. CO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Saguache Co. CO Church & Bible Records
Saguache Co. CO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Saguache Co. CO General and History Websites
Saguache Co. CO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Saguache Co. CO Military Records
- Colorado Military Records (fold3.com) offers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Colorado men and women who served. Perfect for Saguache County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Saguache Co. CO Schools & Directories
- Colorado City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Colorado. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.
- The Colorado state business directory: 1876, 1879, 1880, 1881, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1885, 1887-8, 1889, 1890, 1894, 1896, 1899, 1900, 1901, 1903, 1906, 1909, 1910, 1920, 1921, 1923 (search.ancestry.com)