Conejos County, Colorado Facts
Conejos County, Colorado family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you track your Conejos Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Conejos County was founded on November 1, 1861 one of the 17 original counties of the Territory of Colorado. (was originally named Guadalupe County, was renamed Conejos County after six days on November 7, 1861). The county was named after cottontail rabbits in the area. Conejos is a Spanish word for rabbits..
The Conejos County Seat is situated in Conejos and the county government website is http://www.conejoscounty.org/
Places adjoining Conejos County happen to be Rio Grande County (north), Alamosa County (north) East, Costilla County (east), Taos County, New Mexico (south) East, Rio Arriba County, New Mexico (south), Archuletal County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Conejos County include Town of Antonito, Bear Creek, Bountiful, Cañon, Capulin, Carmel, Conejos, Elk Creek, Fox Creek, Guadalupe, Horca, La Florida, Town of La Jara, La Sauses, Las Mesitas, Lobatos, Town of Manassa, Mogote, Ortiz, Osier, Platoro, Richfield, Rincones, Town of Romeo, San Antonio, Town of Sanford, Sheep Creek
Conejos County includes Federal Census Schedules to guide in exploring your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are present for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Conejos Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Conejos Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1870 and 1880. Conejos Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free online and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Conejos County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Conejos County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Conejos County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Conejos County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Colorado courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Colorado citizens. The chances are great that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least several aspects of their lives in the Conejos County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's dept to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or seeking information because of from time to time changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide men and women in obtaining the materials, but it's up to the man or women to undertake the researching.
The below facts denotes what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and courtroom records are located in Conejos County. The years suggested below tend to be the first widely known records for this particular county. Some loss of records occurred by fire.
- Conejos County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 6683 Co Road 13, Antonito, CO 81120
- Phone: (719) 376-5465
- Conejos County Clerk & Recorder is responsible for recording deeds, marriage licenses, issuing passports, titling and registering automobiles, issuing driver's licenses, registering voters, administering elections and maintaining records for the Board of County Commissioners.
- Marriage Records: 1871
- Land Records: 1871
- Conejos County Clerk of Courts
- Probate Records: 1875
- Court Records: 1877
- Conejos County Public Health and Nursing Service
- Birth / Death Records: 1877–1907
- Colorado Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Colorado for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Conejos County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Conejos County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Conejos County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Conejos Co. CO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Conejos Co. CO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificates in Colorado
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Colorado Divorce Records, Various Sources 1851 - 2004 (archives.com) Various Public Records Sources
- Colorado Marriage Records 1975 - 2004 (archives.com) Colorado State Public Record Offices
- Colorado, Statewide Divorce Index, 1900-1939 (familysearch.org) Colorado Department of Health card index of divorces in Colorado from 1900-1939. The index is arranged in alphabetical order.
- Colorado, Statewide Marriage Index, 1900-1939 (familysearch.org) Card index created by the Division of Vital Statistics, Department of Health in Colorado. The index is arranged alphabetically by groom's name providing county, names of husband and wife, age, race, date and place of marriage, certificate number.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Conejos Co. CO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Conejos Co. CO Census Records
Conejos Co. CO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Conejos Co. CO Church & Bible Records
Conejos Co. CO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Conejos Co. CO General and History Websites
Conejos Co. CO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Conejos Co. CO Military Records
- Colorado Military Records (fold3.com) offers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Colorado men and women who served. Perfect for Conejos County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Conejos Co. CO Schools & Directories
- Colorado City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Colorado. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.
- The Colorado state business directory: 1876, 1879, 1880, 1881, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1885, 1887-8, 1889, 1890, 1894, 1896, 1899, 1900, 1901, 1903, 1906, 1909, 1910, 1920, 1921, 1923 (search.ancestry.com)